184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mastercraft
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:53 am
Zip Code: 14201

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby mastercraft » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:51 pm

so I drained it and only about 2 qts came out.......that level plug on the side of the case ....who knows what it is for because it took 7 qts to come out the back plug.........man I've been running it like that for all last season.....no odd noises and no metal was in the oil so hopefully all is well now.......and selector valve works well once again........with the plow on the back I had no issue walking right up the guys steep driveway, I blew down it , the snow was level and in some cases coming over top the blower....lol

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 16257
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:52 pm
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Mo. Linn

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby Eugene » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:07 pm

mastercraft wrote:so I drained it and only about 2 qts came out.......that level plug on the side of the case ....who knows what it is for because it took 7 qts to come out the back plug.
The transmission/differential case on the numbered Cubs is the same case as the standard Cubs. The plug on the side of the transmission.differential case is the full level for a standard Cub.
I have an excuse. CRS.

mastercraft
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:53 am
Zip Code: 14201

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby mastercraft » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:59 am

Eugene wrote:
mastercraft wrote:so I drained it and only about 2 qts came out.......that level plug on the side of the case ....who knows what it is for because it took 7 qts to come out the back plug.
The transmission/differential case on the numbered Cubs is the same case as the standard Cubs. The plug on the side of the transmission.differential case is the full level for a standard Cub.
would be nice if they were clear in the service manual about differences and not leave things vague.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 16257
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:52 pm
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Mo. Linn

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby Eugene » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:43 pm

mastercraft wrote:would be nice if they were clear in the service manual about differences and not leave things vague.

The most service manuals were written for the experienced mechanic. For the novice or intermediate mechanics the parts manual is an excellent resource.

As far as differences in the various models of IH tractors, this site is probably your best resource.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 1203
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:44 pm
Zip Code: 48423
Tractors Owned: 184
Location: Davison, MI

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:06 am

Don't forget that the Creeper has its own fluid reservoir with its own fill level plug "on the side".
Your loboy requires a lot more trans fluid than a cub because this fluid is also used for the hydraulics.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller

Mike H
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:36 pm
Zip Code: 49913
Tractors Owned: IH 185
Farmall M
1972 SS12 retro fitted
1977 F150 pull truck
1978 F250 4x4 bush truck

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby Mike H » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:18 am

mastercraft wrote:
Eugene wrote:
mastercraft wrote:so I drained it and only about 2 qts came out.......that level plug on the side of the case ....who knows what it is for because it took 7 qts to come out the back plug.
The transmission/differential case on the numbered Cubs is the same case as the standard Cubs. The plug on the side of the transmission.differential case is the full level for a standard Cub.
would be nice if they were clear in the service manual about differences and not leave things vague.


this is why I posted down below about the hitch location
not enuf info on attaching it and were to attach it

Mike

mastercraft
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:53 am
Zip Code: 14201

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby mastercraft » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 am

Eugene wrote:
mastercraft wrote:would be nice if they were clear in the service manual about differences and not leave things vague.

The most service manuals were written for the experienced mechanic. For the novice or intermediate mechanics the parts manual is an excellent resource.

As far as differences in the various models of IH tractors, this site is probably your best resource.
I know plenty of "highly experienced mechanics" that would of had the same concern/question in regards to the manuals wording vs what was on the tractor that I had.........Doesn't mean they aren't experienced. I think the issue is more so that the manual was written for the "experienced IH tractor mechanic" where a lot of theses things are understood or they are educated on as they work on them often being dealer oriented. thank you for all your help sir.

mastercraft
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:53 am
Zip Code: 14201

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby mastercraft » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:32 am

outdoors4evr wrote:Don't forget that the Creeper has its own fluid reservoir with its own fill level plug "on the side".
Your loboy requires a lot more trans fluid than a cub because this fluid is also used for the hydraulics.
yeah, I know all about the separate fill of the creeper and the fact there is no drain plug on it or was it had no real fill location......I remember having to do something weird to pill it or either suck the fluid out through the level plug.....either way it was a pain........lol

mastercraft
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:53 am
Zip Code: 14201

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby mastercraft » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:35 am

I appreciated your help Mike H! :)

Mike H
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:36 pm
Zip Code: 49913
Tractors Owned: IH 185
Farmall M
1972 SS12 retro fitted
1977 F150 pull truck
1978 F250 4x4 bush truck

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby Mike H » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:12 pm

mastercraft wrote:I appreciated your help Mike H! :)


thank you for the encouragement
[much needed these days]

Mike H

mastercraft
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:53 am
Zip Code: 14201

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby mastercraft » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Mike H wrote:
mastercraft wrote:I appreciated your help Mike H! :)


thank you for the encouragement
[much needed these days]

Mike H
no problem....................well guys on a side note, I built a lock bar for the rear three point this week so I can lock the plow i USE for weight in the up position as it slowly was leaking down......tested it today and worked flawlessly, I drilled 2 extra holes, one to lock it in the all the way down position and another for the middle. Now all I need to do is rebuild the distributor and convert it to petronix elec ignition and I'm ready for the next big snow once again...lol, Also picked up a set of heavy duty industrial belts for the pto drive for the blower the green power rated belts don't hold up as well as they are light duty belts.

mastercraft
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:53 am
Zip Code: 14201

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby mastercraft » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:29 pm

well, update............so, with this major blizzard as they called it around here 30+ inches I found the weak links in my 184 snow machine..........slector valve rebuild, always have spare belts on hand...lol, built a locking bar for the 3 point that is adjustable in 3 positions, and finally, ditch the points and condensor set up, the 184 had always been hard starting when it got cold out, meaning below 30 degrees, I would have to aim my kerosene heater at it for 15 min for easy starts........well, with the petronix and flame thrower coil upgrade......not anymore, she fired right up today in the cold, the real test will be in the morning when it's 25 degrees out and frost. Anyway, to anyone who still runs point and is considering the electronic ignition upgrade, do it!! crisper starts and twice the firing voltage on hand to allow you to run wider spark plug gaps that provides for a stronger spark for a cleaner burn..........now don't read to far into that as I know where only dealing with an 18 hp 4 cyl flathead motor on the 184......lol :)

User avatar
ihcc104
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:00 pm
Zip Code: 06469
eBay ID: MoodusMan101
Tractors Owned: :
Cub Cadet Original
Cub Cadet 104 (2)
Cub Lo-Boy 154 (2)
Jacobsen Chief 100 Deluxe
Location: Moodus, CT

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby ihcc104 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:04 pm

I'll be watching this one, I got a diverter valve/3pt with the Lo Boy I just got, but it appears it is rusted stuck. Not sure how to go about freeing it up. But I will also need to rebuild it.

Cory Sanderson

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 16257
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:52 pm
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Mo. Linn

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby Eugene » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:43 pm

ihcc104 wrote:I'll be watching this one, I got a diverter valve/3pt with the Lo Boy I just got, but it appears it is rusted stuck. Not sure how to go about freeing it up. But I will also need to rebuild it.
Most are stuck in the down position. Unscrew the knob. Apply a petroleum based solvent on the valve for a day or two.

Install a large flat washer and nut in place of the knob. Hook a claw hammer or pry bar under the flat washer. Gently tap, prying up on the flat washer.

If stuck in the up position, gently tap on the nut.
I have an excuse. CRS.

User avatar
ihcc104
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:00 pm
Zip Code: 06469
eBay ID: MoodusMan101
Tractors Owned: :
Cub Cadet Original
Cub Cadet 104 (2)
Cub Lo-Boy 154 (2)
Jacobsen Chief 100 Deluxe
Location: Moodus, CT

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby ihcc104 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:57 pm

Eugene wrote:
ihcc104 wrote:I'll be watching this one, I got a diverter valve/3pt with the Lo Boy I just got, but it appears it is rusted stuck. Not sure how to go about freeing it up. But I will also need to rebuild it.
Most are stuck in the down position. Unscrew the knob. Apply a petroleum based solvent on the valve for a day or two.

Install a large flat washer and nut in place of the knob. Hook a claw hammer or pry bar under the flat washer. Gently tap, prying up on the flat washer.

If stuck in the up position, gently tap on the nut.



There is no knob or stud sticking up, wonder if it is broken off.... there is a recess in the top of it. Its too cold out right now, but I will take a couple pics and start a new thread instead of hyjacking this one

Cory Sanderson


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests