184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 16533
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:52 pm
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Mo. Linn

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby Eugene » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:25 pm

Had to look in the parts manual. The knob has threads on the bottom that fit into the recess in the valve.

CRS. Been some time but the knob was missing on my 154 when I purchased it. I used a bolt, nut, large washer to replace the knob. The valve was also stuck when I purchased the tractor. I used the previously described method to free up the valve. The diverter valve didn't leak and worked once I freed it up.
I have an excuse. CRS.

User avatar
ihcc104
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:00 pm
Zip Code: 06469
eBay ID: MoodusMan101
Tractors Owned: :
Cub Cadet Original
Cub Cadet 104 (2)
Cub Lo-Boy 154 (2)
Jacobsen Chief 100 Deluxe
Location: Moodus, CT

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby ihcc104 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:07 pm

Eugene wrote:Had to look in the parts manual. The knob has threads on the bottom that fit into the recess in the valve.

CRS. Been some time but the knob was missing on my 154 when I purchased it. I used a bolt, nut, large washer to replace the knob. The valve was also stuck when I purchased the tractor. I used the previously described method to free up the valve. The diverter valve didn't leak and worked once I freed it up.


Eugene,

Alright, Thanks. I will look into that. Once it warms up, its (-2 degrees) right now, I will take it off and soak it in PB Blaster.

Thanks again

Cory Sanderson

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 16533
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:52 pm
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Mo. Linn

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby Eugene » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:07 pm

ihcc104 wrote:Once it warms up, its (-2 degrees) right now, I will take it off and soak it in PB Blaster.
No need to remove the valve to try and free it up.
I have an excuse. CRS.

User avatar
ihcc104
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:00 pm
Zip Code: 06469
eBay ID: MoodusMan101
Tractors Owned: :
Cub Cadet Original
Cub Cadet 104 (2)
Cub Lo-Boy 154 (2)
Jacobsen Chief 100 Deluxe
Location: Moodus, CT

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby ihcc104 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:15 pm

Eugene wrote:
ihcc104 wrote:Once it warms up, its (-2 degrees) right now, I will take it off and soak it in PB Blaster.
No need to remove the valve to try and free it up.



Yes I know, but this is on a parts tractor anyways, I will be pulling it off regardless

Cory Sanderson

mastercraft
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:53 am
Zip Code: 14201

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby mastercraft » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:47 pm

ihcc104 wrote:
Eugene wrote:
ihcc104 wrote:Once it warms up, its (-2 degrees) right now, I will take it off and soak it in PB Blaster.
No need to remove the valve to try and free it up.



Yes I know, but this is on a parts tractor anyways, I will be pulling it off regardless
rust isn't always what it holding them.......in your case it could be, but smart idea to remove it to work on it, in my case the rubber o-ring had bulged and was preventing it from moving

User avatar
ihcc104
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:00 pm
Zip Code: 06469
eBay ID: MoodusMan101
Tractors Owned: :
Cub Cadet Original
Cub Cadet 104 (2)
Cub Lo-Boy 154 (2)
Jacobsen Chief 100 Deluxe
Location: Moodus, CT

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby ihcc104 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:13 pm

I hope that it is just the O-Rings, not rust.

Cory Sanderson

mastercraft
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:53 am
Zip Code: 14201

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby mastercraft » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:43 am

ihcc104 wrote:I hope that it is just the O-Rings, not rust.
if it's rust heat it up with a hand held torch and pb blaster it and take the c clips off, at least my 184 had c clips and tap on it with a punch and hammer.

User avatar
ihcc104
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:00 pm
Zip Code: 06469
eBay ID: MoodusMan101
Tractors Owned: :
Cub Cadet Original
Cub Cadet 104 (2)
Cub Lo-Boy 154 (2)
Jacobsen Chief 100 Deluxe
Location: Moodus, CT

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby ihcc104 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:09 am

Got it off and got it freed up pretty well. Had to tap the top, the threads for the knob were basically gone, but it seems to work well, a couple O-Rings, and it should be good

Are these as rare as people make them out to be? I see a couple listings on e-bay for 180-225, claiming them to be really rare

Cory Sanderson

outdoors4evr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 1244
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:44 pm
Zip Code: 48423
Tractors Owned: 184
Location: Davison, MI

Re: 184 SELECTOR VALVE rebuild needed asap

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:36 am

I don't think they are rare, but they don't get separated from a tractor often.

You can buy a knockoff from Surplus Center, but it doesn't come with the mounting bracket or the fittings.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-6133&catname=hydraulic
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests