This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hmmm... Stalling

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ihcc104
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06469
eBay ID: MoodusMan101
Tractors Owned: :
Cub Cadet Original
Cub Cadet 104 (2)
Cub Lo-Boy 154 (2)
Jacobsen Chief 100 Deluxe

Hmmm... Stalling

Postby ihcc104 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:03 am

So My Lo-Boy worked flawless on the first snow storm.

But the one we had on Friday... it stalled 20 times I bet.

It works fine at idle, but as soon as I put the throttle to 1/2 or higher it wants to stall and unless I put it down to idle, it stalls. Then I start it up and repeat the process. I thought maybe my fuel filter was plugged but it was clean. I blew out the line. I did not want to take the carb apart as I do not have a rebuild yet. Anything other than a carb issue? I ordered a rebuild, It seems as if its not getting enough fuel, but a few times flames shot out the exhaust which points to a rich mixture... meaning it is getting fuel. Good thing I have my faithful Cadet to use as backup

Cory Sanderson

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hmmm... Stalling

Postby Urbish » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:30 am

You may want to check your timing. My 1948 Cub would stall at anything over 1/2 throttle until I adjusted the timing. Now it starts easily and has power at any throttle position.
Jim

Circle of Safety

mastercraft
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14201

Postby mastercraft » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:11 pm

pull the carb off and check float level and for crap in the float bowl........blow all the orifices and jet out with a can of carb cleaner, sounds like maybe a piece of dirt stuck in the jet.

ihcc104
5+ Years
5+ Years
Cub Cadet Original
Cub Cadet 104 (2)
Cub Lo-Boy 154 (2)

Postby ihcc104 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:22 pm

Thanks for the responses

Well I took the carb off and cleaned it and rebuilt it. No luck. I used carb clean.

It idles fine, and I can use it in idle,

High throttle works when im not moving, but as soon as I put it in gear and let out clutch it wants to stall and then spits and sputters. Also if I bring the plow up and hold the lever for a second too long, it wants to stall it as well.

I will check the timing tomorrow. I ran out of daylight today.

Cory Sanderson

Mike H
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49945
Tractors Owned: IH 185
Farmall M
1972 SS12 retro fitted
1977 F150 pull truck
1978 F250 4x4 bush truck

Postby Mike H » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:58 pm

the distributor upgrade we did last weekend took care of those problems
on our 185.
it started up at 10 degrees this am[with a little help from the F 250].

Mike

mastercraft
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14201

Postby mastercraft » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:05 pm

check the points and condensor, mine did a similar thing and filing the points would correct it for a while, but they were well worn so I found it to be a great time to upgrade to elec ignition and solved the whole problem

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:42 am

Sounds like it stumbles when accelerating or when a load is applied. (times when the carb throttle plate is opening and calling for more fuel)
There is an "air adjustment" on the top of the carb. You probably need to turn it in slightly (1/4 turn) to allow less air & more fuel into the engine.
This will affect the fuel mixture at idle and the transition to high idle. Shouldn't affect the mixture of the high idle circuit.

This condition also can be impacted by the timing. Carefully check your timing as well.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

TurboRoadster
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 77328
Tractors Owned: 67 Cub LoBoy

Postby TurboRoadster » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:36 am

EDITED: I found this post via "New posts", didnt snap that it was in the #loboy section, sooooo that being said, I am not sure if the # tractors have a glass bowl set up like my 67 loboy does. The following info may apply, may not. :beer:

check glass bowl assembly, need to remove from tank and clean out the tiny hole it drains down into the glass bulb with or reach into tank with a thin wire and flashlight, look at petcock from the tank and use wire to clean crap out of the hole. Sounds like your not getting enough fuel, I just went through this with mine. It had sediment in it and it works like a beast now that it has fuel to drink.
to check if it flows before disassembly, pull off filter and open up petcock and make sure it flows enough fuel, if its slow or dribbles, remove and clean.

ihcc104
5+ Years
5+ Years
Cub Cadet Original
Cub Cadet 104 (2)
Cub Lo-Boy 154 (2)

Postby ihcc104 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:00 pm

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions

It turns out that you all were a little right. My timing was off a few degrees, probably not detrimental, but I'm sure effecting it.
But there was also scmegma in the fuel bowl deep inside where the shutoff is, I couldn't see it, but when I blew it out, a lot came out.

It is running as good as it was before, still almost stalls when I put it into 3rd, but thats because of a tired engine, not fuel or timing.

Thanks again everyone.

Cory Sanderson

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:14 pm

Cory,
Now that you've got it running, I'd buy some SeaFoam and put a heavy dose in the gas and in the crank case. Just leave it for the next few months, running the tractor as hard as you can whenever you run it. Next time you do an oil change, make sure to run the tractor really hard, like mowing a lawn or plowing, etc., to really make sure you've gotten the SeaFoam through the system, then drain the oil and do a tune-up. Also, I'd check your valve adjustments at this time. The SeaFoam gradually eats away the carbon that's built up in the valves and intake, so the longer and harder you run it, the better it will work. It seems that nobody ever does the valve adjustments on these old tractors until one of us gets ahold of them. You won't believe how much difference it makes in one of these engines to have the valves adjusted correctly! I had a 77 Cub that you couldn't even run in 3rd gear because it would stall. I did what I just described above, and I could then plow dirt or snow with the tractor in 3rd gear!!! Trust me, it's worth it!
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Compression test results?

Did you check the ignition timing with a timing light? Advance working properly?
I have an excuse. CRS.

ihcc104
5+ Years
5+ Years
Cub Cadet Original
Cub Cadet 104 (2)
Cub Lo-Boy 154 (2)

Postby ihcc104 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:53 pm

Eugene wrote:Compression test results?

Did you check the ignition timing with a timing light? Advance working properly?

When it warms up I will preform a compression test. I am guessing they will be low, there is blow-by with the grey smoke.

The timing was checked with a light, I think it is working right, although it seemed like the advance brought the timing the other direction... in the opposite direction of the BTDC mark.... but I don't see how that can be possible.

I will give it a go with the Seafoam, was on my list anyways to do. I will tear into it a little more in the spring time.

Cory Sanderson

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:37 pm

ihcc104 wrote:The timing was checked with a light, I think it is working right, although it seemed like the advance brought the timing the other direction... in the opposite direction of the BTDC mark.... but I don't see how that can be possible.
Trying to figure this one out.

Engine rotating in normal direction. 2nd timing mark on the pulley to line up with the pointer is the TDC mark. 1st mark to line up with the pointer is the advance mark.

With engine running at low idle, the TDC mark on the pulley should line up with the pointer. As the engine rpms increase the TDC mark in the timing light flash will appear to be prior to the pointer. And the advance mark on the pulley will appear to be moving counter to the engine's rotation direction, backing up towards the pointer.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ihcc104
5+ Years
5+ Years
Cub Cadet Original
Cub Cadet 104 (2)
Cub Lo-Boy 154 (2)

Postby ihcc104 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:49 pm

Eugene wrote:
ihcc104 wrote:The timing was checked with a light, I think it is working right, although it seemed like the advance brought the timing the other direction... in the opposite direction of the BTDC mark.... but I don't see how that can be possible.
Trying to figure this one out.

Engine rotating in normal direction. 2nd timing mark on the pulley to line up with the pointer is the TDC mark. 1st mark to line up with the pointer is the advance mark.

With engine running at low idle, the TDC mark on the pulley should line up with the pointer. As the engine rpms increase the TDC mark in the timing light flash will appear to be prior to the pointer. And the advance mark on the pulley will appear to be moving counter to the engine's rotation direction, backing up towards the pointer.

Your right what was I thinking!!! So that means I am off 16deg... it is in fact the advance mark that lines up at idle, then goes to even further retarded. I had a brain fart... Ive been doing timing for years. typically there is only 1 mark on the dampener and then you move it from there or a sequence of numbers, but not 2 marks. Whoever timed it before me, timed it to the wrong mark. :worthy:

Cory Sanderson

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”