This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 loboy throttle/gov adj problems

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gustocub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18942

154 loboy throttle/gov adj problems

Postby gustocub » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:05 am

MTF Member # 184034
Default governor-throttle adj problems 154 loboy
On a cub 154 loboy I couldn't get the throttle control to stay up past idle. The cable and all pivots are free and I adjusted it acc to the factory service manual and I'm fairly sure I got that about right. When I advance the throttle lever on the dash I could force it to raise rpms but it wouldn't stay there. Acted like the governor was forcing it back, so I bought a good used governor for $75 from Hamiltonbob who has been working on the loboys forever and after I put it in it does the same thing. When I observe the last linkage rod to the carb as I push the throttle up the governor is kicking it right back down to idle and won't let me increase the revs. By adjusting the throttle cable to the gov I was able to get it to idle a bit higher. I set the lever full on and moved the cable till it was stopped by the heavy governor spring there at the throttle stop. I also see that when I engage the deck it almost stalls and the governor is not compensating enough for the sudden load increase I don't think. In any case it wont let me push the throttle lever forward unless I hold it there. Got a feeling I'm doing something wrong. (???) Thx Gus
Deeregus is online now Report Post

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 154 loboy throttle/gov adj problems

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:53 am

Read this post at least 6 times. Frankly I don't know.

GSS-1498, Service Manual, has 4 pages of instructions on adjusting the governor/carburetor controls.

Throttle control lever not significantly tight to hold governor in position? Using a tachometer to check engine rpms?
I have an excuse. CRS.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 154 loboy throttle/gov adj problems

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:57 pm

gusto cub wrote:... On a cub 154 loboy I couldn't get the throttle control to stay up past idle. The cable and all pivots are free and I adjusted it acc to the factory service manual and I'm fairly sure I got that about right. When I advance the throttle lever on the dash I could force it to raise rpms but it wouldn't stay there. Acted like the governor was forcing it back, so I bought a good used governor for $75 from Hamiltonbob who has been working on the loboys forever and after I put it in it does the same thing. When I observe the last linkage rod to the carb as I push the throttle up the governor is kicking it right back down to idle and won't let me increase the revs. By adjusting the throttle cable to the gov I was able to get it to idle a bit higher. I set the lever full on and moved the cable till it was stopped by the heavy governor spring there at the throttle stop. I also see that when I engage the deck it almost stalls and the governor is not compensating enough for the sudden load increase I don't think. In any case it wont let me push the throttle lever forward unless I hold it there. Got a feeling I'm doing something wrong. (???) ...

I believe you just need to tighten the bolt that runs through the throttle lever. There should be a friction material to hold the lever in place. Its either worn out or nonexistent, which is why your throttle won't stay in place.
What you are describing with your governor forcing the throttle back is a normal reaction. On the older FCubs, the throttle lever was held in place with notched detents, the 154s with friction. The governor weights being thrown out as the RPMS increase are forcing the fingers away, which normally are counter acted by the governor spring and a stationary throttle lever. When the throttle lever is able to freely move, the governor weights push the fingers, which pulls the spring, which then pulls the lever back to idle.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”