Fuel Filter Sucked Dry -

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sanderson34
Zip Code: 61279

Fuel Filter Sucked Dry -

Postby sanderson34 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:59 am

So I am having a bit of a problem -

Whenever I run my LoBoy 185, the fuel filter runs dry and the machine will stop running.

I have pulled the carburetor, cleaned and replaced the gaskets. I replaced the old in line fuel filter with a brand new one. I have tried to run the machine with the fuel cap both on and off.

Does anyone have any suggestions for why this might be happening?

Thanks All,
seve

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Fuel Filter Sucked Dry -

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:45 am

I would be looking at debris in gas tank blocking fuel flow, or vent in gas cap plugged.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Larry B
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:22 pm

You possibly may be using the wrong filter. Paper filters designed for systems using a fuel pump can stop passing fuel in a gravity system due to capillary effect. Sometimes they will work ok with a full tank and stop working somewhere around half a tank. Most automotive filters are like this. Most lawn mower filters usually work ok with gravity systems. The red disc type Briggs&Stratton fuel filter is designed for gravity systems with 150 micron filter element. The white one is for systems with fuel pumps and is 75 microns. Try a red Briggs filter and see what happens.

sanderson34
Zip Code: 61279

Postby sanderson34 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:48 pm

Hey, thanks all!

This is the new fuel filter I have installed....

http://hamiltonbobs.com/cart/product/in ... lo-boy-mm6

Let me know what ya' think.

Thanks

Larry B
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:43 pm

Not sure there are no specs on micron size. Quick test. Pull line off of carb and see if fuel flows. Let it run for a couple mins in a container . If fuel stops flowing pull off filter and check flow. If it barely flows or starts then slows to nothing with the filter and flow good with filter removed then wrong filter. I see this all the time on riding mowers where folks replace fuel filter on gravity feed systems with paper element filters.