185 generator/regulator q's

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brianleibo
Zip Code: 19002

185 generator/regulator q's

Postby Brianleibo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:16 pm

Can generator and regulator go bad simultaneously? Went to start my 185 and got a click. I tapped on generator with rubber mallet and it started but when I checked charging voltage at battery is only read 12.7 volts. I have charger on my battery keeping it fully charged and the tractor still sometimes but getting worse needs to be tapped to get started. I ordered a new generator and regulator but I'm puzzled how they both went bad simultaneously. Any ideas? FYI BOTH PARTS ARE 10 years old battery is 1 year old. Brian :tractor:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 185 generator/regulator q's

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:18 pm

You probably have a loose connection or sticking and/or worn out brushes inside the starter-generator.

Mike H
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49913
Tractors Owned: IH 185
1972 SS12 retro fitted
1977 F150 pull truck
1978 F250 4x4 bush truck

Postby Mike H » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:41 pm

had the same problem.
used a grounding strap from the voltage regulator mounting screw to the frame and it fixed the problem
there was corrosion keeping it from getting a good ground,,
also make sure the battery ground is run to the transmission and not the sheet metal. [ I remembered Eugene ]

Mike

Larry B
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:11 pm

Mike H wrote:had the same problem.
used a grounding strap from the voltage regulator mounting screw to the frame and it fixed the problem
also make sure the battery ground is run to the transmission and not the sheet metal. [ I remembered Eugene ]

Mike

I see in your sig line you have an SS12. Is that a Sears SS12? I have a complete ST12 sitting in the barn waiting for a restoration. I also have a ST12 that I Frankenstien'd a 2006 Troybilt snow blower onto. Those old Sears/Roper mowers were built like a tank.

Meanwhile back at the ranch...er...I mean thread........
If hitting the S/G gets it to work that is a classic symptom of a bad commutator. You can disassemble the S/G and used some crocus cloth or 1000 grit emery paper to clean it up but more important is that you need to undercut the mica between the commutator bars. You use a very narrow fine tooth saw blade to remove about.010 of material. When the commutator bars wear down even with the insulators you start getting poor contact. That is why hitting it helps. Some guys put in new brushes and clean up the commutator but not under cut and it works for a while but the problem comes back.

Mike H
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49913
Tractors Owned: IH 185
1972 SS12 retro fitted
1977 F150 pull truck
1978 F250 4x4 bush truck

Postby Mike H » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:06 am

Larry B wrote:
Mike H wrote:had the same problem.

Mike

I see in your sig line you have an SS12. Is that a Sears SS12? I have a complete ST12 sitting in the barn waiting for a restoration. I also have a ST12 that I Frankenstien'd a 2006 Troybilt snow blower onto. Those old Sears/Roper mowers were built like a tank.

Meanwhile back at the ranch...er...I mean thread........
If hitting the S/G gets it to work that is a classic symptom of a bad commutator. You can disassemble the S/G and used some crocus cloth or 1000 grit emery paper to clean it up but more important is that you need to undercut the mica between the commutator bars. You use a very narrow fine tooth saw blade to remove about.010 of material. When the commutator bars wear down even with the insulators you start getting poor contact. That is why hitting it helps. Some guys put in new brushes and clean up the commutator but not under cut and it works for a while but the problem comes back.

ayup,, refitted with a vanguard 16 twin [never leave Mike unattended with a plasma cutter :mrgreen: ]

I am not too good at this computer stuff but there is a thread on starter generators about 1/2 way down on the first page.

Mike :tractor: