154 PTO Clutch Cup

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob cramer
Zip Code: 08551

154 PTO Clutch Cup

Postby Bob cramer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:37 pm

PTO Clutch is in need of replacing as I was only able to get 15 foot lbs of torque before turning while engaged. Upon pulling the clutch assembly I noticed the clutch cup had numerous cuts in it possibly from the cams rubbing up against it while engaged. If I replace the PTO assembly should I replace the cup as well. Not sure I know what the cup does. Does it just protect the PTO or is balance an important concern while PTO is engaged? Thanks for your feedback.
Bob

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 154 PTO Clutch Cup

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:03 pm

The PTO friction disc's lugs/cogs engage in the cups slots. The cup is the drive portion of the clutch assembly.

The slots in the cup take quite a banging when initially engaging the clutch. Depending on how beat up the slots are, might want to replace the cup along with other clutch parts.

Few years back I worked on the PTO, mostly replacing bearings. I took a file and cleaned up the burs on the cup and friction discs, then turned the friction discs around, presenting a new uniform surface to the cup slots.
I have an excuse. CRS.