Finally got it running

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Agage1
Zip Code: 21771
Tractors Owned: Wheel Horses
Cub cadets
Power king
Cub lowboy 154
Ford n

Finally got it running

Postby Agage1 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:09 pm

Well I finally got it running. It took a little money in routine maintenance parts and a new carb but I ran it all day today. Just a few questions cause I've never had a 154 before. First it seems like it's underpowered in high gear especially when going up hill. Not sure if this is timing or governor related. I played a little with the throttle linkage and its running a little better. It won't stall in third like it did but I have let off the clutch real easy. Next I drained the rear it looks like the Po put straight gear oil in. I replaced with hytran. When I first drove it the rear sounded like a hydro tractor. It was loud. The more I drove it the sound got quieter. Is this something to be concerned about? All in all I like the tractor and I think I'll keep it. I hooked it to a trailer and was pulling logs and firewood all day. I really like the tight turning radius too

Mike H
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49913
Tractors Owned: IH 185
1972 SS12 retro fitted
1977 F150 pull truck
1978 F250 4x4 bush truck

Re: Finally got it running

Postby Mike H » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:05 pm

3rd gear seems to be a road gear to me [I never use it for local running]
the noize seems to be typical for this tractor, first and reverse is real noizy on our 185 [gota replace some gears I guess]
also the pto clutch package makes a bit of noize too [guess I notice it more with the cab on it,containing the noize]
the engine is rated at 16 Hp soooo ya
we use ours for snow removal with a 60'' snowlander blower
the snow up here is really lite and fluffy and it does the job [ya I stalled it a few times]

Mike