Aftermarket attachments

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Raftguide
Zip Code: 43025

Aftermarket attachments

Postby Raftguide » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi everyone. I just purchased a Loboy 185. This is my first tractor. From what I can tell it is in awesome condition. No complaints thus far. However I have a couple questions:

The mid mount mower deck. What quality of cut should i expect? Is this more like a brush hog or finish mower? It is the original IH mower deck....not a woods.

Second. I would like to get a small tiller to pull around for the garden. Do any aftermarket tillers work with the 185? I would like to run a little 48" unit.

Thanks for the input.

:tractor:
F

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Aftermarket attachments

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:58 pm

Welcome.

The Numbered Cubs were built as estate tractors, read that as lawn mowers. With sharp blades they do a good job of mowing lawns.

It's not a brush hog mower deck or tractor.

To operate a tiller with a Numbered Cub you need a transmission with a creeper gear and a 3-point. Second issue is that you would need a tiller made for a Numbered Cub. PTO is non standard.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48423
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 am

Since you asked about aftermarket attachments, there are a lot of tillers that have their own engine that can be used with the numbered cubs. Having their own engine allows you to run your numbered cub at an idle. This might just be slow enough for the tiller without the creeper gear. I have the IH15 tiller and it uses the PTO at wide open throttle. A creeper is mandatory for this application.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller

Raftguide
Zip Code: 43025

Postby Raftguide » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:48 pm

I think I found a tiller attchment that may work. Rural King has a couple that might work.

Follow up question to the mower....

I asked about the quality of mow because I ran a couple test strips last week. It really didn't seem to cut that well. It was leaving large clumps and not discharging out the sides like I imagined. Should I be in low gears while mowing? I was in high first. I figured that should be the expected mowing speed. Any input?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:05 pm

Engine at full throttle. I mow with my 154 in 1st or 2nd gear with 3260 mower deck.

Depending on how thick and heavy the grass, the mower deck's right side discharge plugs up. Normally the plug falls out when I turn a corner.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:00 am

Ya gotta run in L-1 to do a decent job mowing and engine really screamin!---NOW as for bush hoggin,----I do that with mine all the time and with sharp blades it does excellent! thanks; sonny

outdoors4evr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48423
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:12 am

I mow my lawn at full throttle in second gear. (Creeper not engaged) According to the manual, this is around 3.8mph.
The mower deck needs to be setup properly. First, verify that the blades are turning the correct direction and that they are sharp. Second, verify tires are properly inflated and park on a level surface (concrete) and the mower deck is down low (mowing position). Orient the blade on one side front to back and measure the distance to the ground. The front end of the blade needs to be slightly closer to the ground than the back end of the blade by 1/4" or so. Then do the other side. Also, make sure the deck is level from one side to the other.
If the deck is jamming up and clumping, then make sure the chute area is clean (free of grass clumps) so the grass doesn't try to stick to the deck as it is exiting. Deep, wet grass does seem to clump up a bit.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller