This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

185 with creeper

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
als
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 55325
Tractors Owned: IH Lo-boy 185, 3 point, fel. 2x Bolens QT-16, 3 point

185 with creeper

Postby als » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:14 pm

I ran into a (thing). The input shaft on the transmission has a bearing with one of the seals removed. The retainer will not hold the oil seal that came with the kit I ordered. My question is if the transmission and differential are filled level to the plug on the back cover the creeper would fill to that level also. Given the book says to fill creeper with 1 1/2 pints it looks to me that would be at the same or close to the level of the transmission.
So... can anyone tell me if there is or is nor a seal on the transmission input shaft with a creeper? It really isn't making a lot of sense to me. My book shows a seal on the transmission but it does not reference the creeper on the transmission.
If you want something to change you must change something.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 185 with creeper

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:42 pm

There is an O ring and gasket between the creeper and transmission. When I repaired my creeper, the creeper didn't fill when I filled the tractor's transmission. I had to add lub separately to the creeper.

When I purchased my 154, the tractor was only in low creeper gears. The creeper repair cost was minimal, couple of dollars, parts from the local hardware store. I did split the tractor to get at the creeper. Since I had only recently purchased the tractor, had the rear end on stands, I checked the brake bands.

Edit: The major repair parts form my creeper were a 1/4" half moon key and a rod, both stock items from the hardware store. Basically, the inability to shift the creeper from high to low was in the shifting mechanism. Don't know what you will find when you disassemble the creeper. Could be inexpensive or very expensive.
I have an excuse. CRS.

als
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby als » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks Eugene, I have all ready gone through the creeper. I do need to get the shift rod because mine was broken and has a real ugly weld holding it togeather. 1 bearing needed or not ,seal and oring.( of which I now have 9 extra of) bought ten to get one.haha. All said cost is minimal. Shaft will be the most expensive at 35$ at Hamiltonbobs.
I have repaired the transmission which was a lot worse than expected. Ended up with a whole good gear set off eBay for 35$ cheap cheap cheap! Only really needed the reverse idler but when he whole set showed up for half the cost of the one gear I took a chance and got a nearly new looking set! eBay can be magic! eBay can also be a real ripoff. Need to be vigilant.
Now back to my conundrum. The upper shaft (input shaft) on the transmission did not have a seal in the retainer. I bought a seal and it fell right in. Almost .050 difference in retainer Id and seal od. Something is "off" looking and stareing at the thing tells me the seal makes no sense there when a creeper is on it. Once the creeper has its inatial fill thr splash from the transmission would keep it full at the level of the transmission, and the open bearing would let it run back without overfilling the creeper. Wit a seal there the creeper would fill about 1 1/2 inches higher which may cause the creeper to leak at the shaft by the way is the reason I tore into the whole backend in the first place. Leaks, I hate leaks!
Al

als
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby als » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Ahah I have the answer! From stierner tractor parts guide breakdowns. It's called a seal for without creeper. With a creeper called a bearing retainer. Same reference number 14, different part numbers. Giveing them a call in the am to get the low down! Tomorrow I'll have my answer. :{_}:

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:22 pm

My third int154 came with a snowplow and creeper. I noticed the clutch slipping in high range first gear. I put it in low range in first gear and she would climb mountains. I figured when I get time I'd look at it. Well I opened up the drive shaft cover and seen one clutch spring broke. I pushed the engine forward and removed the clutch and drive shaft. Two clutch springs were broken along with a worn spline on the driveshaft. I plowed snow for two winters with it this way. That's a credit to the design. I installed a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, two brake pucks, pilot bearing.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”