Painting rims... the fix-a-flat saga

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Greg Armstrong
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 43074
Tractors Owned: 1980 Cub Lo-Boy 184

Painting rims... the fix-a-flat saga

Postby Greg Armstrong » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Picked up an extra pair of front rims a while back with tires even worse than mine. The idea being to clean them up and get new tires and then just swap them on so I have no down time. Had the "rubber" pulled and found a nasty fix-a-flat mess stuck all over the inside that had created a cozy nest for rust to grow and pit the steel. So, I'm assuming there is some paint needed on the inside of the rims (where the air goes), but what? Just the same primer and white (ivory) that I paint the rest of the rim, or something else?

Also, please never use fix-a-flat unless someone's life depends on it. Nasty stuff.

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Painting rims... the fix-a-flat saga

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:23 pm

Clean the mess off down to bare metal by whatever method you have available. After cleaning, I use a phosphorus solution (brand name OSPHO) to stop and seal the rust. After it dries for a couple of days you can wire brush the area then prime and paint as usual. There are other products available also but this one is locally available at my nearby hardware store. Stan

Larry B
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:55 am

I work on a lot of riding mowers and see this a lot. FixaFlat is really just a thick latex paint like product intended for Temporary use but people always leave it in. A much better product is Slime or better yet a tube if it will work. I usually wire brush the rim and use a product called Rust Converter then a couple heavy coats of primer. If you go tubeless be mindful of the hole for the valve rusting badly. $00.02 worth

Greg Armstrong
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 43074
Tractors Owned: 1980 Cub Lo-Boy 184

Postby Greg Armstrong » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:05 pm

Thanks Stan & Larry. The valve hole looks ok, just a bunch of cleanup inside. I've painted rims before with the tires on, but never with them off, just wanted to be sure rattle can paint won't impede the tires going on properly.

I think the ACE Rust Stop Ivory Gloss that was sitting next the can of "IH Red" looks like a decent match for my 184. Probably not exact, but close enough no one will notice.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... d=37967366

Larry B
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:11 pm

You should be good to go. When I paint rims I like to use a good enamel. Tractor supply sells a truck and implement enamel in rattle cans. If the rim is really rusty and pitted where the bead seals and you can't get it smooth enough to seal the bead properly I give it a couple of heavy coats of emamel over the primer and then use a product called bead sealer. I have also had to weld up valve stem holes. Hopefully your rims aren't in that bad of shape.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:13 pm

When I have the tire off the rim I paint the inside first, with a good primer then the finish coat. I've seen so many used rims with rust inside them. Yup while the outside looks decent. They do offer a paint now to halt rust on frames. I may try it inside rims.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.