New owner 185 lo boy questions

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 6:22 pm
Zip Code: 30558

New owner 185 lo boy questions

Postby JohnnyJay » Sun May 07, 2017 8:20 pm

New member with a few questions.
1. Is the gas and radiator caps not supposed to have a rubber gasket?
2. What is the best manual to get for the 185?
3. I can get the rear hydraulic cylinder to go up and down, just can't get the mower cylinder to go down.
4. My mowed deck is a bush hog style, not a grass mower. Is this common?
5. What's the best place to get parts for this local Boy?
Thanks ahead, John

Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 16875
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:52 pm
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Mo. Linn

Re: New owner 185 lo boy questions

Postby Eugene » Mon May 08, 2017 12:42 am


You will need one more post to access the free manuals. The manuals for the 185 is found under quick links, top left of this page.

Parts availability, lot of parts are available from your local auto parts store, others from the Case/IH dealership, some from the local hardware store. Others can be obtained by placing an ad in the Vine. The Vine is a for sale wanted section of this site.

The answer to the operation of the hydraulic cylinders is located in the Operator's manual. The mid tractor hydraulic cylinder has a lock out screw located frame level mid tractor, left side. If this is the case, you need a lock out bar for the 3-point. Some of the numbered Cubs have a diverter valve located on the panel between your calves. The diverter valve is used to operate either the 3-point or the mid mounted hydraulic cylinder.

There are a number of different makes and models of mowers mounted under a numbered Cub. Need the make and model to answer your question.
I have an excuse. CRS.

5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 1363
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:44 pm
Zip Code: 48423
Tractors Owned: 184
Location: Davison, MI

Re: New owner 185 lo boy questions

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon May 08, 2017 8:15 am

Might need more description about the gas and radiator cap gasket.
Inside the gas cap there is a gasket. If you do not have one yet, get the new style gas cap. I think they are still available.

Between the gas tank filler neck and the hood, there is a rubber boot. Is this the gasket you are referencing?

The radiator cap is a non-pressurized cap. They usually do have a rubber gasket in the cap.
There is not a rubber boot between the radiator cap and the hood.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller

Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 6:22 pm
Zip Code: 30558

Re: New owner 185 lo boy questions

Postby JohnnyJay » Mon May 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay in response. It's a 1974 according to the vin number. I got it with a 4' box scrapper on back, which is still attached. Gas cap has no rubber or vent? Radiator has no gasket but does have an overflow line? thanks ahead.

User avatar
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 2428
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:33 pm
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Wa.

Re: New owner 185 lo boy questions

Postby Glen » Tue May 09, 2017 1:31 am

Here is a listing for the gas cap gasket at TM Tractor, if you want to see it.
They don't show a radiator cap for a 154 LoBoy there, that I saw.
TM Tractor is at the bottom of the page. :)

  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest