This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lo boy 185 Starter/generator questions

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
chris95040
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Lo boy 185 Starter/generator questions

Postby chris95040 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi folks, new to the forum.

We've had a lo boy on our farm for several years, it's just been getting more use the past few years. I've got a few questions if you don't mind?

1. Does anyone know how many amps I could draw off the battery safely without fear of cooking the starter/generator? Years ago we burned it out when running a big electric pump and had to have something rewound, had a new regulator put on it, etc.

2. Is there a kit to switch to a regular starter / alternator setup?

3. Something might be going on with the governor - the engine will automatically move the throttle control (that you operate with your hand) back down to idle unless you hold it in place at a higher throttle setting. I've tried tightening the hinge for the throttle control but that doesn't help.

Thanks for any tips!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Lo boy 185 Starter/generator questions

Postby Eugene » Tue May 23, 2017 6:39 am

The service manual doesn't list the test amperage in the start mode for the starter/generator. The service manual lists the cold output as 25 amps when functioning as a generator. Guessing that the starter/generator will draw 50 amps, perhaps more, in the start engine mode.

No kit. There is a recent discussion on this board about installing a starter on a numbered Cub.

Not the governor. Need to repair or replace the throttle control lever.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Tue May 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Eugene wrote:The service manual doesn't list the test amperage in the start mode for the starter/generator. The service manual lists the cold output as 25 amps when functioning as a generator. Guessing that the starter/generator will draw 50 amps, perhaps more, in the start engine mode.

No kit. There is a recent discussion on this board about installing a starter on a numbered Cub.

Not the governor. Need to repair or replace the throttle control lever.

you won't find an amp draw spec specific to a starter motor. You can sometimes find an amp draw spec in a vehicle service manual but this is a test of the vehicle battery, wiring and starter. Starter motors are different than most other motors. They are series wound vs. Shunt wound. What this means is the field coil is in series with the armature as opposed to shunt wound motors that have the field coil in parallel with the armature. Series wound motors will draw as much current as is available. They are not self regulating, they will draw max amps at locked rotor or freewheeling, load or no load. If there is enough power available the motor will spin fast enough to either melt windings or blow up the armature. The reason series wound motors are used in starters is that they provide max torque at zero rpm.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue May 23, 2017 9:07 pm

chris95040 wrote:...Is there a kit to switch to a regular starter / alternator setup?
Check the mounting point where the starter attaches to the block. On a 154, the cross member that the rear of the engine attaches to will not allow the starter flange to seat against the block. The nose of the starter contacts the crossmember and modification is required to fully seat the starter against the block. I've not got far enough into it yet to determine how the ring gear will attach to the flywheel.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

chris95040
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby chris95040 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:23 pm

Oh, sorry, I wasn't asking how many amps the starter draws. I was asking if anyone knows how many amps I can draw off the generator. Does anyone know this figure? (I heard one vote for 25 amps?)

Assume the battery itself is at a full SOC and therefore isn't drawing much charge current.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri May 26, 2017 4:24 pm

chris95040 wrote:I was asking if anyone knows how many amps I can draw off the generator. Does anyone know this figure? (I heard one vote for 25 amps?)
You can double check my quote of 25 amps, service manual, GSS-1408, section 10.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Fri May 26, 2017 5:43 pm

The ignition system draws about 4 amps. The lights about the same just FYI

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”