This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

185 Brake band replacement

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brianleibo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19002

185 Brake band replacement

Postby Brianleibo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Is it necessary to drain finals or any hydrolic fluids for that matter to do this job? Im an ase master tech also what kind of time frame for this job start to finish. Assuming everything would come off/apart without a hitch. Thx Brian :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 185 Brake band replacement

Postby Eugene » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:54 am

The service manual, GSS-1408, says you need to split the tractor to remove the final drives. Fluids drained.

I split my 154 to repair the creeper. Checked the brakes while I had the tractor apart.

This is a might as well while you have the tractor split/apart. Check the clutch, bearings, seals, gaskets, throw out bearing, clutch brake pucks, etc..

Time frame. Don't really recall how many hours I spent on the creeper, brakes, replacing worn parts. Just guessing 20 to 30 hours. Neighbor I purchased the 154 from ask me how many dollars to repair the creeper. Told him $6.?? in parts, but the labor would have been $1200- if it were in a shop.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:50 am

If your brakes are grabbing be sure to check the mounting bolts holding the transaxle to the frame. If they are not tight the transaxle can pull to the rear when braking and pull the brakes tighter. Feels like the brakes are grabbing. Usually will lock up a wheel in grass or gravel

Brianleibo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19002

Postby Brianleibo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:53 pm

Has anyone ever just added more thread to Brake adjuster rods to allow more adjustment. Although doing this would eventually run risk of brake bands eating into the round but replaceable brake hubs.? My tractor stops but brake pads are definitely worn down to where the manual parking brake won't hold the brakes in maximum settings.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:51 am

Replace the brake bands. Ruining the brake drum will greatly increase the cost of the repairs.

Linings for the brake bands are available, cheaper than buying finished brake bands.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:58 pm

What year 185?

The newer version you can disconnect the driveshaft, turn it stick it in the PTO section of the flywheel. Disconnect everything on the tranny, pull the sheet metal, and put jack stands under the rear frame, pull both wheels, and lower the tranny enough to pull the finals.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”