154 hydraulics wont go into free float

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
outdoors4evr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48423
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: 154 hydraulics wont go into free float

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:04 am

The manuals on the website for the numbered series are ok, but you might want to purchase a reprint of the original service manuals for your tractor from Binder Books.
https://www.binderbooks.com/cub.htm
Roughly 1/2 way down the page you will find a section for the 154. I purchased the TC-131 parts manual and the GSS-1408 service manual. The service manual is very detailed and has sections for each variety of the numbered series. (Early & Late 154, 185, and 184)
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller

Larry B
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:17 am

http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/Publ ... doSearch=Y

Not sure what manual you have but here is a link to a 154 manual

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:45 am

Pfranck331 wrote:Eugene, I have no clue where you are trying to direct me to look, the parts manual tc131 found in the PDFs files under IH LOBOY/ cub -154 - LoBoy does not have ' "groups" it is divided into alphabetical sections A to N with section F being hydraulics.
True, had to down load the pdf file to check. The parts manual on this site is revision no. 8, dated 1972. My paper TC-131 is revision no. 19, dated 1980.

I purchased my Cub and Numbered Cub's manuals from JP Tractor Salvage, advertiser on this site. Recommendation, these manuals are very high quality, clear easy to read.

I have purchased manuals for other tractors from some of the major suppliers. Disappointed in their quality.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:50 pm

I haven't posted in years because of some of the things you mentioned in your deleted post. Hopefully you got things worked out.

I have never seen anywhere more than two valve types on the numbered series tractors. The early style that you mentioned has no detent for a float position. The float accomplished by locking the lift lever forward. That is done by a locator lock, number 21 on your section F, page 5 diagram. That piece is on the outside of the pedestal on the right side. The handle , number 18, has a small rod that is welded onto the main handle and engages with number 21 to hold the handle in the downward position which effectively becomes the float position. Two of my numbered series tractors have that type of float setup. I never use the float but if you were to look at one of my 154s it would look like the handle had no float position because the small rod broke off and left only a small speck of a weld. The locator lock and the bolt holding it on have long since been lost. That may be what is going on with your 154. Check the handle closely for the residuals of a weld and look at the side of the pedestal for an empty bolt hole.

I also have never seen any listing or noticed in person any over the center mechanism for the float. They all used only the two types that I am aware of. Photos of your valve and the side of your pedestal would help along with any photos of the over the center type.

If your valve is leaking then I can send you a "How to" pdf on the valve and the seal numbers but your float problem is separate from any valve rebuild.

BigBill has some very early 154s and he may respond with what type of float system he has.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:08 am

Check your return line from the valve for flow. The old hydraulic hose could split on the inside causing a blockage. The pressure can back up pushing the lever. Check your hydraulic oil filter too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Pfranck331
Zip Code: 61201
eBay ID: Greaceandgasoline
Tractors Owned: IH 154 Cub LoBoy 1972

Postby Pfranck331 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:11 pm

Landreo , I think you Sloved my mystery! I don't know how I didn't see it , the parts breakdown clearly shows the rod and bracket, I do not have either. And it does leak, while I don't think it should be too much trouble to change the seals, a how to PDF wouldn't hurt so thank you for that too.
I'm working from a vintage iPad but I will try to get some pictures uploaded to photo bucket and leave them on this forum in my next posting.
Outdoor and Larry, thanks for the links to the manuals , I don't think you can ever have "to manny " resources. I will be buying a paper manual.
BigBill, I have a new filter and 2.5 gal of Hy-Tran on hand as soon as I get it back up and running fluid changes are the next order of business. Will check for return line spalling off.

Manifold gaskets, valve cover gasket, exhaust studs and nuts and carb kit should be arriving tomorrow.

Point gap was to small , trimming was close to TDC, 3 valve tapets were to tight gap, carburetor top Was wrapped so bad I don't think two gaskets They used were sealing. I have staitened.

Pfranck331

Postby Pfranck331 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Picture of control valve and linkage.

Picture of pedestal

I will look for evidence of missing components when I get some other issues resolved.. A k a get it running.

Pfranck331

Postby Pfranck331 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Here is a close up of where the rod used to be welded to thr control lever.

It's hard to see but that pin hole is worn so it is elongated almost twice its width.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:28 pm

I would not worry about the link hole size. That is not a problem.

Here is what you should have:
Keeps posting sideways for some reason.
Attachments
20171211_114734 (Small) (2).jpg

Pfranck331

Postby Pfranck331 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:54 am

Thanks I’ve already got a solution in mind I plan to fab a latch that extends out to the actual control lever arm and use a sheet nylon material to form a catch.
I’ll send pictures when I have this accomplished this.
Right now I’m welding up treads on a old worn out tired chains for my high floatation tires.
I have almost completed the conversion of my dozer blade to a dedicated snowplow my endgame is to free float the snowplow once completed. I will upload pictures of all this to the project section once completed .

Larry B
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:46 am

Landreo wrote:
I also have never seen any listing or noticed in person any over the center mechanism for the float. They all used only the two types that I am aware of. Photos of your valve and the side of your pedestal would help along with any photos of the over the center type.

If your valve is leaking then I can send you a "How to" pdf on the valve and the seal numbers but your float problem is separate from any valve rebuild.

BigBill has some very early 154s and he may respond with what type of float system he has.

I guess I have to apologize here. I guess I was incorrect about the over center linkage. Working from memory from quite a few years ago. The over center design is on a different small tractor. I run a mower shop on the side and I see a lot of different equipment and I got some things mixed up. Sorry if I added to the confusion. Glad other folks here gave you better information. :oops:

Pfranck331

Postby Pfranck331 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:42 pm

Here is my fix I will post to how to do the project section when I get around to it .