This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Always Wear Your Seatbelt

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Always Wear Your Seatbelt

Postby Urbish » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:54 am

I stopped to render aid at an two-car broadside accident in the pouring rain well before dawn this morning. I was the 2nd person on the scene. The lady driving the Ford Escape had bad injuries but was breathing. The guy driving the full size electrical contractor van probably would have survived (and not even been badly injured) if he had his seat belt on. The van rolled onto its passenger side in a field and he was partially ejected out the passenger window.
Last edited by Urbish on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Re: Always Wear Your Seatbelt

Postby T-Mo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:59 am

Not the kind of way I would like to start the day, coming across a recent accident like that. I pray the lady survives the accident, and it sounds like the guy in the van, from your description, didn't make it? I know some people think seat belts are a nuisance, but if it saves a life, it's worth the effort to use them. Now a family has to grieve because the guy didn't have a seat belt on, for whatever reason. I feel for the guy's family.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:49 am

It's hard to imagine, in this day and age, someone not wearing a seat belt. The really scary thing is seeing unrestrained children crawling around in a car going down the interstate.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:40 am

T-Mo wrote:Not the kind of way I would like to start the day, coming across a recent accident like that. I pray the lady survives the accident, and it sounds like the guy in the van, from your description, didn't make it? I know some people think seat belts are a nuisance, but if it saves a life, it's worth the effort to use them. Now a family has to grieve because the guy didn't have a seat belt on, for whatever reason. I feel for the guy's family.

Correct. He was expired when I got to him. A news article out this morning says that she was transported by ambulance in critical condition and confirmed him as a fatality.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:49 am

And wear your helmet when on a motorcycle. Rosanne and I stopped behind a car that was turning left. I could see an oncoming motorcycle approaching. I figured the driver that was turning saw it to. Either she didn't see it or she thought she could beat. Whatever she thought, she was wrong. She turned and we watched the bike hit her right side throwing the rider over her hood into the middle of the road with his small cooler that was strapped on the back bouncing off my hood. The driver of the car behind me was the first to get to him with me right behind her. I will never forget the mess I saw. He was barely breathing and the back of his head was crushed. I filled out the accident report and left just after the ambulance. I know most of the guys on the squads around here and the captain told me later the biker was very near death by time they got to the hospital and if he did survive he would have never lived outside a hospital or nursing home.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Safety Forum”