This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Resetting a electrical disconnect

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Jim Roy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Resetting a electrical disconnect

Postby Jim Roy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:30 am

About twenty years ago I was working on a electrical problem with one of my maintenance guys. I pulled the 2000 amp 480 volt disconnect. we repaired the problem. I went back to the machine room where the main electrical panels were. I reset the switch and pulled the handle. When I did I wasn't aware that part of the insulator around one of the disconnect poles had over time got so hot that it got brickle and when I turned the disconnect off part of the insulator fell off. When I put the disconnect back in service a bolt holding the insulator went directly to the hot post creating a direct ground. There was a big flash and a loud boom. The next thing I knew was I had been thrown across the room and against the wall. When the other maintenance men got me out (of course in the dark) I was about half knocked out and all of the hair on half of my head, the right eye brow and right side of my mustache was burnt off. I was very thankful that God had spared my life and that I wasn't seriously hurt. The point I would make is when you reset a disconnect or even a breaker in your breaker panel stand to the side (not directly in front) and look away before reseting disconnect or breaker. It has been twenty years but I will never forget it.

Jim
My wife has a long honey do list, I read it, thank about it, than take a nap to see if it goes away.
49 Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Resetting a electrical disconnect

Postby Dennis » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:42 pm

Wow, that would be a life altering experience for sure. I've never heard that recommendation of standing to the side, but it makes sense, especially with high voltages. Other than the painful memory, I hope you had no other permanent injuries.

Thanks for sharing with everyone,
Dennis

Return to “Safety Forum”