This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Don't Be a Complacent Cubber

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Don't Be a Complacent Cubber

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon May 12, 2008 6:58 pm

For 13 1/2 yr. I've been working on getting my landcaping here to be "right" for the run-off and get a good bermuda lawn seeded. Looks like I will get it done this year, THANKS TO MY CUBS AND TOOLS. :big smile: :big smile: :big smile: Since late Feb, this year my Cubs have been reshaping the rock pile I live on, and have burned up over 75 gallons of gas without missing a beat. Imagine this, "getting it done" and using your Cubs. I have had the time of my life.... :big what: (almost was :big angry: )...I would have died happy :big afro:

When i tipped over last Monday it was due to my own complacency. :big devil: :big devil: :big devil:

I had made that same turn around that same tree at least four times discing last week end on standard Cub and loboy. It was not the safest turn (uphill around a tree), but it was not off limits like some other grades here are. The standard Cub has made this turn lots of times, discing, mowing and raking, i even felt better/safer on Tuffy.

Last Monday i was tired, and just finishing up for the day. Hey, I had become a pro operater now and everything was shaping up just fine. One more day or so and I would be ready to seed...NOT. Still have not finished discing, but I'm going to finish tomorrow, or give her a good try.

It might be too easy for us to fall into this over confident and complacent mode, crawling along about 4 or 5 mph, listening to music or worse talking on the cell phone.

Stay focused and remember what happened to me. Oh and stay away from trees. These Cubbies will crawl right up the side if you get the left rear tire squarely onto the trunk :oops:

I'll put more pictures up here later.

Arizona Mike
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Don't Be a Complacent Cubber

Postby Bigdog » Mon May 12, 2008 7:38 pm

Thanks for the words of wisdom Mike!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Mon May 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Arizona Mike wrote:It might be too easy for us to fall into this over confident and complacent mode, crawling along about 4 or 5 mph, listening to music or worse talking on the cell phone.

Stay focused .....
Arizona Mike

Mike, Thanks for the words of wisdom. Except for the speeds you list above, I would guess a lot of major traffic accidents are the results of the same "lack of focus".

:roll:

Roy
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

midget-farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby midget-farmer » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:00 pm

I use my cub for mowing and hay rides. I can't tell you how many times I've scraped a tree with the rear tire & never thought it might cause a roll. Thanks for posting this. I will use the weed eater from now on. Safe is always better than sorry.

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:01 pm

From IHC Harvester Highlights:

"Our insurance doubled this year to over $30,000. This is why we have been so critical on ads and web pages for anything to do with tractor pulls and tractor rides. Our insurance will not insure these events and they are watching web pages."

Just a sign of the times. I think it also reflects what appears to be a common complacency with an individual safety or for new tractor enthusiast, just plain ignorance of the dangers. That is why this forum is here, to remind everyone to have fun and be SAFE. We want you all here in one piece, for a long, long, time.

Thanks to Mike for sharing his personal experience and shining a light on the dangers of being "a complacent Cubber". We are blessed that Mike was not hurt any worse than he was.

Dennis

PS: I'm just a guilty of taking safety to lightly at times with that "It will never happen to me" attitude. Shame on me :oops:

lildog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45601
Skype Name: JohnRRatliff

Postby lildog » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:19 pm

One thing Dad (Bigdog) has always instilled in me and my son is to respect the tractor. When you become complacent, as Mike points out, you also tend to lose some respect for tractor and what it can do - which is exactly what led to my rollover last month. Cubs may not be uber-powerful, but their primary purpose is to generate power and apply that power to whatever task you put to it. The tractor only knows its part of the equation: create and apply power. It is your responsibility to safely and responsibly choose how and when that power is applied. Choose poorly and pay dearly, just as I did. I didn't respect the tractor and have the broken arm and bruises to show for it.
John "lildog" Ratliff: Facebook | Twitter

56cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15057

Postby 56cub » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:16 pm

thanks for the advice
normally when I use my cub if I don't feel that safe on a hill I go slower and watch for any hazards in front of me.

Return to “Safety Forum”