This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Accident this morning

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253
Circle of Safety: Y

Accident this morning

Postby Pony Master » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:39 pm

Well, my morning did not go as I had planned. I was going to run a few arrends and work on things around the house. I got a phone call stating that my plans had been changed (funny how that works) and I was now going to help strip and replace the roof on my Great Grandma's house. We dove right on and got one side stripped, and Grandpa was helping me start stripping the other side. The roof is not all that steep and it is only a one story, but that is where things went wrong.

It was getting close to lunch time and Grandpa had already said it was time to get down and eat. I kept working for a little while since my uncle was as well. Then Grandpa said itwas time to eat again so I put my shovel down and started to wipe the sweat from my face. Just as I did that Grandpa slipped and fell on the roof. He landed on his belly about 3 ft from the edge. Then he rolled right off the edge of the roof! I saw his hands grab the gutter as he fell. He landed in a flower bed, unfortunately the flower bed was edged by a 4x4 post. He hit that post right between his eyes. I looked over the edge of the roof and saw that he was not moving and there was blood pouring out of his nose. I dialed 911 as I was climbing down the ladder. He will not admit it, but he was out cold. Since we live in a rural area it took about 10 minutes for the ambulance to get there. In the mean time he came to and sat up. I refused to let him get up and made him apply pressure to his horribly bleeding nose. The ambulance got there, and checked him over. They said he was okay enough to ride in the truck to the hospital (why he refused to go with them I will never understand). That is where he is now. He definately has a broken nose, and they are worried about his spleen and the ribs on his left side. He is also complaining of some mild pain in his left wrist.

Please be careful when doing the simplest household things, you never know when it will get you.
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Re: Accident this morning

Postby Hengy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:44 pm

The only thing worse than getting hurt in an accident yourself is seeing someone you know and love getting hurt. I am sure that the scene will haunt you for some time, Pony. I wish your Grandfather a quick recovery...and you some relief as well... Glad that he is at least "OK"... when you said he wasn't moving, I got scared for you...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:47 pm

Chad - I understand your feelings of watching a loved one involved in an accident as it happens and feeling helpless to stop it. I am glad your grandpa is not hurt any worse than he is. I hope all turns out well.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Pony Master » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:54 pm

Thanks guys! I have to say this entire ordeal is the most emotionally draining thing I have ever experianced.
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:50 pm

Chad:

It doesn't take much when elevated above the ground either on a roof, scaffolding or a ladder, to suddenly no longer be elevated. The fall is not the problem, it is the last 1/4 inch or so... that usually causes all sorts of unwanted things to occur. I am glad that your Granddad is ok... and mostly it is a bit of shock, a broken nose (ouch) and hopefully nothing more serious than that as a result of that slip. I sincerely hope that his ribs, wrist and spleen are ok.

As for why he rode in the truck and not the ambulance :?: I could probably answer that one... same reason why I did not want to go to the hospital in the ambulance either. - Pure and Simple -- Embarrassment!. I didn't have a choice.. the boss lady said shut up and go... your Granddad at least felt like he was retaining a semblance of his dignity in a very embarrassing situation.

Our prayers are with you all and we pray that all goes well. Please keep us posted. (+)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:13 pm

Sorry to here about your grandpa Chad, must be a tough ole bird though, roofing a house at his age? At your age one of my grandpas was in a grave and the other was almost there, but i wasnt allowed to be around him. Count youself lucky

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Pony Master » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:30 am

Good News, Grandpa was able to come home from the hospital after some tests. I am happy to report that the doctor said that he will be very very sore for a few days, but the injuries are minor. I am not sure how he bounces back from these things at 76, but I am sure glad that he does! He and grandma were involved in an extremely serious accident almost 4 years ago, and we nearly lost him then. After a month and a half on a ventilator and several more weeks of rehab, he was back to milking cows and driving tractors. I hope I am that lucky someday.

John(videodoc) wrote:At your age one of my grandpas was in a grave and the other was almost there, but i wasnt allowed to be around him. Count youself lucky

John I consider myself very lucky in that respect. I lost one Grandpa to a heart attack when I was 4, but the rest are all living. I also still have one Great grandma left, and another that passed not all that long ago. All of my family has been healthy enough to stick around and steer me down the right path, or at least pick me up and brush me off when I fall in the weeds. For that I am blessed!

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, I know they help tremendiously!

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:08 am

Glad to hear he is OK I hope when I get to be that age I will be that active as your grandpa. Its great that he has family around to help him and I am sure you all enjoy these times, except for the fall of course.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:02 am

Chad:

Glad that your Grandpa is ok. How they bounce back I do not know but some are very lucky. As with John, I agree.. those who have both are very, very lucky. My Opa (my Dad's father) I never knew.. he died when my Dad was 9. My mom's Dad, Grandpa passed when I was 17. I have been without him physically for 37 years now and I miss him terribly.

Cherish him, and hang on to him as long as you can. They never leave us completely, just their physical presence... they are with us forever in our hearts and our memories.. but I can tell you this, I sure wish I could hear his voice again, relish in his humour and laughter and of course get beat at 500 by him as often as he wished to.

Peace to you and yours, and glad he is ok.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Roy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Roy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:08 am

Chad,
Sorry to hear about your granddads accident but at the same time glad to hear that he wasn't hurt any worse than he was.
Betty and I will put him on our prayer list to have a speedy recovery and that he want have to much pain.
I am sixty six and do not get on roofs anymore as my balance isn't as good as it used to be. Just ask and beg him to keep his feet on solid ground from now on. :)

Jim
My wife has a long honey do list, I read it, thank about it, than take a nap to see if it goes away.
49 Cub

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Pony Master » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Thanks Guys, grandpa hit the ibprofen bottle pretty hard today. He is definately sore, and has a large red nose but other than that he is doing remarkably well.

Jim, I will not have to worry about asking grandpa to stay off of roofs. He is officially GROUNDED!

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:25 am

Chad: I know what you are talking about. I had a Grandpaw that lived too be 105 YOA. That old man would not admit to any thing that hurt him. He was still getting on roofs at the age of 98. I told him that its about time for him to stay on the ground. That was the wrong thing to say to him. My dad said way to make the old man mad. Well I don't bat no eye's I tell you like it should be said STAY OFF THE :censored: ROOF. Let us younger folks do the work well that's not good enough.
Cherish your Great & Grand Parent & your parents. Get plenty of pictures. Once they are gone they are gone forever from taking pictures but they are still there in your memoirs.
Hope that he has a speedy recovery. Keep your eyes on him. He sound like he is an old cant anus old dude.
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:47 pm

Chad: Glad to hear that your grandpa is doing well. He certainly lucked out on that fall, could have been much more serious. Like Jim, I don't get on roofs now. Too old and sometimes have problems with balance. However, my neighbor who is in his 80's and lives alone still does repair to his roof. His only son lives in Dallas so Janie and I check on him each day. I am afraid that he will take a fall and suffer serious injury. I have asked him to get someone to do roof repairs. But he insists that he won't fall, we aren't relatives, just neighbors, and can't tell him not to go on the roof. But it sure is scary. Dan

Return to “Safety Forum”