This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

welding on wheels

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: welding on wheels

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:02 pm

Wouldn't the answer to this problem be to deflate the tube and remove the valve stem before applying heat?

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Nope! I believe the video mentioned a couple of incidents where the valve insert was removed and one where the bead was even broken before starting.
All incidents ended in explosions as the expansion of the air was too fast for the valve to compensate and the expansion even reseated the bead on the tire that had the bead broken down :shock:

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:42 pm

Thanks. I hadn't watched it all the way through the first time. He definitely states that that won't keep the tire from blowing.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:54 pm

bythepond88 wrote:.......
Do I understand correctly that the whole pyrolisis reaction started from that few seconds of welding, then the tire blew two and a half minutes later? Scary indeed.
That was the way it happened.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Great bit of stuff worth knowing. Thanks EJP
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

JGtools
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55325
Tractors Owned: 1958 ih 340 utility
1950 farmall cub
1948 ford 8n
kubota 3240
IH 154 loboy

Postby JGtools » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:08 pm

very good ! I never realized that could happen, I have never welded or heated up a mounted wheel before, but after seeing this video, I know I will never do such a thing. thanks for sharing this educational video. Jim

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:51 pm

This is a real waker upper ain't it?? Never heat the hub on the axle to get off the rusted rim. I always use a 16lb sledge hammer. 8)

There are a lot of welding dangers to look out for;

Look out for the 200lb nitrogen gas filled shocks in car fires and when welding near then. I trust nothing. Murphy's Law. :roll:

Don't put your cutting tanks in the trunk of a car with a electric solenoid opener. Its a great remote control bomb.

Don't run your gas cutting tanks too low. You can actually mix the gasses from one tank into the other tank.

On your gas cutting hoses make sure you have the one way valves on the hoses it prevents the back feeding as well as a flash back going into the welding tank.

Always ask yourself "Is what i'm about to do safe?" (taken from the national timber fallers acc.)
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:14 am

Wow Thanks John.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop