This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Infant dies during ride!

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Infant dies during ride!

Postby Barnyard » Thu May 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Another sad reminder of what can happen when riding kids on a tractor. Giving kids a ride on a tractor is a thrill, not only to the child, but the parent as well. Unfortunately the following story from today's news is something this father will remember forever. We have all done it and many will continue to do so. Yet we need to make sure it is safely done whether it is our Cub, a riding mower or any other tractor.

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- An investigation is under way after a 2-year-old Lexington girl was killed in a tragic accident involving a lawn mower.

The accident happened Wednesday evening on a family farm.

The Fayette County Coroner said a man was driving a riding lawn mower with his 7-year-old son and 2-year-old daughter, Addy McReynolds, when he made a sharp turn.

The girl died from blunt and sharp-force trauma when she fell off the mower.

The family's priest, Ray Stratman, rushed to their home after he heard about the accident.

"You want to go over and over in your mind, 'How could I have prevented it, what should I have done?' So it really is a sad thing, that's for sure," Stratman said.

Neighbors said the family has lived on the farm for about five years.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Re: Infant dies during ride!

Postby Bigdog » Sat May 28, 2011 12:19 pm

A 7 year old and a 2 year old on a lawn tractor with a parent is just asking for trouble. That is a whole different situation than riding a single child. I would still never consider riding a child while mowing. The article does not state whether he was mowing or just riding them around but 2 extra riders on a lawn tractor should be a definite no-no.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: Infant dies during ride!

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat May 28, 2011 1:56 pm

I'm in the doghouse, with a neighbor, because I told her that mowing her lawn with a 4 and a 2 year-old was not a smart thing to do. I even offered and did mow her lawn a few times to help her out. So be it.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Return to “Safety Forum”