This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Summer Safety

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Summer Safety

Postby Stanton » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:16 am

Wasn't going to share this embarrassing info, but I just read Dennis' new post about a man who flipped his tractor and died. What a tragedy!

Accidents, both major and minor, are waiting to happen all around us. Here's a picture of what happens when I was watching the lower portion of your post hole digger feed screw and I should have been watching the upper...

As the Cub was moving forward, the feed screw caught and whole front end of the tractor came up about 12" off the floor. A quick slap of the clutch stopped the forward drive, but the damage was already done. As it turned out, the top end of the feed screw was just barely taller than the garage opening. If the feed screw had been further up, it would have bent it and/or flipped me backwards. And to think I wrote an article for a national magazine which included two interviews with men who warned me about bending the feed screw on overhead doorways!!!!!

Thankfully, only the aluminum trim over my garage (and my pride) was injured. :oops:

Having head knowledge is not enough. Focusing on the task at hand and application of that knowledge is what helps prevent accidents. Thanks again, Dennis, for the reminder.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Summer Safety

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:31 am

One of those oops! moments. Glad nothing more serious happened.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks for the reminder, glad you're ok.

Tom
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks for the reminder to watch over our head when running running our tractors. Admitting our mistakes may lead to a bit of embarrassment and future kidding but if it helps someone else avoid an accident or injury it is worth that bit of humiliation. With that said I will share my not-so-little boo-boo. Two weeks ago when I was at the local strawberry festival I was getting ready to start the dually Cub after the show to take it to the loading area. I did what we should never do. I forgot to shake hands with the shifter. :shock: Luckily there were no spectators and nothing was in front. I was able to hit the shifter in time to knock it out of gear. I made a mental note that I needed to kick myself in the pants when I got home (surprisingly, I didn't need to change them).

The following day I backed Harley Cub out side the garage while I tinkered with a few things on him. Rosie came out to watch and she pulled up a stool and sat in the shop where Harley was parked. When I finished, I went to start Harley while standing in front of the right rear tire. Harley starts with a key and the starter spins the pto shaft from the rear to crank over, meaning the pto has to be engaged to start it. I reached over to engage the pto and turned the key. Harley's ignition system allows him to start instantly. What did I do or not do? In putting the pto in gear from the position I was in I inadverently assumed I shook hands with a standard Cub, when I actually had only engaged the pto.

With a turn of the key Harley roared to life and lunged forward with the tire pushing me forward. :shock: :shock: I hung onto him and tried to push in the stop switch. Well go figure, this is not a regular Cub, it has no on/off switch. Not thinking fast enough to remember there is a key switch, I hung on to the steering wheel with one hand to keep my feet off the ground and grabbed for the shifter with the other, all the while the right rear tire cleat is grabbing at my back pocket. I got it stopped after it moved about six to eight feet (you could see where my feet moved gravel as they slid along). It came to reast with the front tires back inside the shop. When I looked up to see Rosie I noticed she had jumped up and ran. She even took her stool with her to keep it safe. Thinking , I'm surprised I didn't produce a stool myself during this short lived bit of excitement.

I think I better brush up on the starting advice Rick gave me at the Bash when I comes to starting Harley. He had a routine that was something like, turn the fuel on, shake hands, walk to the back for the pto engagement and to the other side to start. I have been a little more observant of that shifter these last two weeks. Rosie now watches through a window from inside the house and only comes out when she knows it's safe :lol:

The bottom line is, no matter how safety conscious we are, Stanton and I can both tell you, things happen before you know it. Thankfully, we are both fortunate enough to still be here to remind you.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:51 pm

Barnyard I know how you feel. I did pretty much the exact same thing with my 52 Cub. It starts instantly also. I was on the left side of the cub and that tire was on me before I knew it. It was all I could do to reach the shifter and put it in neutral. Thankfully all that got hurt were my overalls and my pride. Talk about a lesson learned!
Thomas

kthomas
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64870
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub

Postby kthomas » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:48 pm

Stanton,

I'm glad your ok. You can replace the aluminum trim on the garage but not you!! One of my employees was in my office a couple of weeks ago and we were discussing work place injuries, which this guy is a safe worker and don't get hurt on the job, however he said he tends to get injured at home from time to time.

I told him that I believe it's because when were at home, were in our comfort zone and we don't really think about or tend to look for the hazards like we would at work or some place where there is potential for injury. We encounter many hazards on our off time and sometimes they are overlooked.

Thanks for sharing.

KT
1950 Cub...1951 Super C

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:24 pm

Don't fix the trim on the garage for a while. It will be a constant reminder and will make you long term safer.

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:09 pm

Dale Shaw wrote:Don't fix the trim on the garage for a while. It will be a constant reminder and will make you long term safer.

Best advice I've heard in years!! :big afro: :big afro:
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Return to “Safety Forum”