This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Use the right hitch safety pin

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Use the right hitch safety pin

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:44 pm

If you have a trailer hitch of this type do not use a smaller safety pin to lock the latch closed than it was designed for.
The latch is locked closed by the pin sliding through a notch in the hinge plate of hitch itself. This type normally uses a 5/16 inch pin, but if you use a 1/4 inch pin it is small enough to slip past the ears of the notch and will not lock the latch shut. I learned that today while hitching a trailer and noticed the handle did not lock down good when the pin was installed. I was using the 1/4 inch pin that came with the trailer (used trailer). I discovered that the apparent reason for the 1/4 inch pin rather than the 5/16 was that the holes were not aligned quite right and it was nearly impossible to get the proper 5/16 pin in the latch. A quick pass with a 5/16 drill bit and the proper pin fit just fine, and the hitch locked closed as it should.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Use the right shitch safety pin

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks, John. I've been running without a safety pin. I'll go get the real deal tomorrow.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Mr Ziffel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20106
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub with 193 plow, snow plow. Woods 59 mower. unknown disk, John Deere spring-tooth harrow, 2009 New Holland T1510, Massey Ferguson Mod 25 Disc (I think)

Re: Use the right hitch safety pin

Postby Mr Ziffel » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:20 am

I am glad you posted that reminder. I haven't used a pin for a while. I always have the chains hooked up but no pin. I guess somehow I viewed the pin hole as a place for a padlock (security) , more than a safety measure.
Thanks.

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:05 am

Mr Ziffel wrote:I viewed the pin hole as a place for a padlock (security)
This is what I thought also...and our padlock is definitely not 5/16"....Thanks for the heads up, John.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:27 am

The reasoning for the pin is that if the spring breaks that holds the latch down, there is nothing to keep it from vibrating open other than gravity, and the pull of gravity on that little handle is not much.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:05 pm

I guess the extra piece of copper wire I have been using should be replaced :big smirk:

Disclaimer: (just joking)

You mean just loading tongue heavy won't keep it on there? :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Dale Shaw wrote:......
You mean just loading tongue heavy won't keep it on there? :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh:
Depends on how lucky you are and how rough the road is. In about 71 or 72 I was pulling a pretty nose heavy camper behind my Bronco, and about a hundred or so miles down the road I hit a rough stretch of 67, and heard a strange bumping noise. When I checked it out, I had failed to close the latch on the hitch. I have not forgotten to close one since.

Mr Ziffel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20106
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub with 193 plow, snow plow. Woods 59 mower. unknown disk, John Deere spring-tooth harrow, 2009 New Holland T1510, Massey Ferguson Mod 25 Disc (I think)

Postby Mr Ziffel » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:45 am

OUCH!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:18 am

Just going to add a bit to what John has said. The correct pin size is important. Dad always used a bolt and nut instead of the pin. That works as long as it is pretty well tight. Unfortunately with a lot of vibration nuts can work themselves loose and once that happens it doesn't take long for the bolt to either work itself out or break. I have had a trailer bounce off the hitch twice in the last 20 years. Not a good experience especially at speed on a highway. Luckily I had jacks with me or it would have been very serious. Even with safety chain securely holding the trailer to the van, there is no control over the trailer as it swings wildly from side to side behind you. Pucker factor maxes out at that point.

I have made it a point to ensure that I have lots of the correct pin sizes (I have a few trailers) and there are always a couple spare pins in the storage compartment of both my vans.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:49 am

As Rudi mentioned, the chains are important. When installed properly they X under the tongue, and are long enough to allow turns without binding, but short enough that if the tongue comes off the hitch it will be carried by the chains rather than hitting the ground/pavement and it or the jack stand digging in.

I like the pins with the loop as opposed to just a pin with a key in the end or a bolt. It allows running the light wiring along with the cable to the brake-away switch through the loop to keep it from dragging or getting caught in the hitch on turns, which is especially handy if driving a truck that the receptacle is mounted to the side and you have to make an extension cable to use it.

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:07 am

As John said " I like the pins with the loop as opposed to just a pin with a key in the end or a bolt. It allows running the light wiring along with the cable to the brake-away switch through the loop to keep it from dragging or getting caught in the hitch on turns, which is especially handy if driving a truck that the receptacle is mounted to the side and you have to make an extension cable to use it." Just make sure your wiring is long enough to make a tight turn. I did that with mine (wires too short) and it pulled the pin apart. When I stopped the pin was still hooked on the wiring but not in the hitch. Not a real problem but could have been. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:23 am

Even though I have the same style hitch on my trailer, I don't think it is a very good hitch. I have had trouble over the years of the top lever getting bent and not aligning up. Or the bottom latch sticking and not letting the hitch settle down on the ball far enough.
The best hitch IMHO is a bulldog. The jaws open to allow easy hooking to the ball, the ring slides over it and when a pin is used to keep everything in place, you are good to go.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:17 pm

BIGHOSS wrote:Even though I have the same style hitch on my trailer, I don't think it is a very good hitch. I have had trouble over the years of the top lever getting bent and not aligning up. Or the bottom latch sticking and not letting the hitch settle down on the ball far enough.
The best hitch IMHO is a bulldog. The jaws open to allow easy hooking to the ball, the ring slides over it and when a pin is used to keep everything in place, you are good to go.
I agree 100%, however most trailer manufacturers use the ones I pictured because they can buy them cheaper. I definitely prefer the bull dog couplers.

poppy-1948
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45693
Tractors Owned: 1930 Farmall Regular
1948 F Cub
1950 Farmall H
1956 International 350U
1982 John Deere 750

Postby poppy-1948 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:08 pm

Thanks John for the safety tips. I was going to add the point of crossing the chains if you had not. It always amazes me how many rigs I see on the road with the chains not crossed or too long or.... :shock:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:38 pm

poppy-1948 wrote: It always amazes me how many rigs I see on the road with the chains not crossed or too long or....

One would think that the sparks from the chains as well as the tinkling would alert them to their folly, but I guess not.... :roll:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Safety Forum”