This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tractor Accident

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Tractor Accident

Postby Barnyard » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:10 pm

I just got home from our 4x4 club meeting. I found out from a friend of mine there that another friend of ours who he works with went out to start his tractor before he left for work this morning to plow the snow we got over night. Nobody knows what happened for sure but Pat was found lying in his driveway with severe injuries after the tractor had rolled over him. Don told me he only knew that Pat was in bad shape and had no other info. The word is he apparently laid there for several hours before somebody found him.

I first met Pat at the shop where I get my high lift serviced and we became quick friends. It turned out he sang in our church choir until moving to Indiana several years ago. Pat is a super great guy who goes out of his way to make sure his customers are treated right.

Fellas, ALWAYS, make sure you are aware of your surroundings and your footing when getting ready to use your tractor in the snow. It could be he started the tractor in gear, but that is all unknown for now. It only takes a quick second for something to go wrong.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clint Carter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27265
Tractors Owned: Ford 2000
78 Cub Fast Hitch Red
78 Cub Red
76 Cub Red
75 Cub (Not Long Stripe) Yellow
70 Cub Yellow Fast Hitch
53 Cub 151 Disk Plow
69 Cub

Re: Tractor Accident

Postby Clint Carter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:26 pm

Sorry to hear that Bill, will keep him in our prayers
Have A Nice Day!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:11 am

1 second of forgetfulness can lead to unexpected results. I sure hope he recovers. In our prayers (+)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

BJ Moretz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28661
Tractors Owned: IHCC Chapter 42
1985 Ford 1310
2007 MF 1533
1942 Farmall M
1970 Farmall Cub
1946 Farmall B
1200 Cub Cadet

Postby BJ Moretz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:18 pm

I hope he recovers from this. He will be in my prayers for sure. My first year with a steep cement driveway, I was scraping the snow off. My tractor started to turn sideways. I decided to jump off and let it go. I slid down the hill with it and luckily put my foot against the blade to keep from going under it. I learned a lot in those few seconds. I now have a larger tractor with chains for that job.
BJ Moretz
Member Chapter 42 IHCC
1970 Farmall Cub
1533 MF
1310 Ford
1946 Farmall B
1942 Farmall M
1200 Cub Cadet

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Rudi wrote:1 second of forgetfulness can lead to unexpected results.

I have a practice that I adhere to when ever using any of my hand start tractors. Each time I park the tractors I put the tractor in neutral, set the brakes, get off the tractor and turn off the gas and let it run until it runs out of gas and dies. I do this every time, no if ands or buts. Before starting, I turn on the gas, set the spark (if applicable) and throttle, check to make sure the tractor is in neutral and brakes are still set, choke it and crank it over.

One time while backing my '29 Regular into the shop and it quit. It ran out of gas but I knew it might because the tank was nearly empty. Backing it up the slight grade into the shop was enough to move the little bit of gas in the tank to the front and away from the tank outlet, starving the tractor causing it to quit. I jumped off, grabbed the gas can and poured in a gallon or so (I don't keep much gas in tractors that I don't use much) so I could get it in the shop. I set the spark and throttle, engaged the crank and gave it a whirl. She fired right up for just a couple of revolutions but I had left it in reverse when it died and it took off towards the back wall of the shop. Fortunately it only fired a few times and died again which is unusual because she runs pretty good. Anyway, it scared me to death and I felt totally hopeless as the tractor started taking off. My routine was broken when the tractor died and I didn't check to make sure that the tractor was in neutral before starting. I slipped up this time and almost paid a price for it.

Be careful out there!!
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Return to “Safety Forum”