Farmers Market

Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:17 pm

Well I went to a local famers market today.I use to sell out front when I was with Tracy.Or sell my stuff at work.Today I went to a local one and had a great time.I always worked on Saturdays,so time off now is not a problem.I sold most of my stuff.Green beans were quite the catch and went real quick.$5.00 a plastic bag.People they were nice and you set up under a pivilon[?]. Cost was free to set up.Did make you fill out a paper so they know who you are and what you might bring.Looking forward to it next saturday.Got some $$$ to get going on next years garden.PS these markets beat the food stores big time.I bought from my neighbors and visa versa.Kevin :D :D :D

Re: Farmers Market

Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:20 pm

I've never sold, but we do plenty of buying at our local farmer's market.

http://www.mountainfresh.org/

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:08 am

Our local market is on a downhill slide. Until recently it was a friendly place for customers and vendors. Then somebody decided we need a committee, by-laws, traffic cops, etc. They even painted spots on the pavement to control space used. A tongue lashing to anyone that steps on that spot! These few people are on a power trip and we are loosing customers and vendors. Sad to see your vendor friends selling from a gas station lot. We won't be back this year. Maybe next year will be better. :(

Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:11 am

Farmers Markets are doing well here. There is one in the parking lot of the county court house on Saturdays, and another at the county health office on Wednesdays. Someone, I an mot sure who, has even put up permanent stalls for shade at the one at health office. So far as I know, both are free to sellers. We are also seeing quite a bit of sales from local farm supply parking lots, grocery store parking lots, etc. None of which charge the vendor.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:28 am

Our local farmers market is a good example of committee working well for it. At the start of the year, they started a token system that allows buyers to use credit/debit cards. Then, just last week, they added an evening market on Tuesdays for the folks who don't want to or can't be there on Saturday morning.