Rabbits in Garden

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:07 am

Hey guys!!!!!
Josh and I are having a heck of a time with rabbits this year... literally they are reproducing like rabbits lol they are everywhere
They are eating our hostas and they are getting into our garden that is fenced in. We thought the fencing was low enough to the ground, but it's not... they can still get under.
Is there any natural rabbit repellents that you guys know of?
We have tried moth balls in the hosta garden but we can't do that for our garden because of the dogs.
HELP PLEASE!!!!! :)
-amanda-

Re: Rabbits in Garden

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:21 am

If the dogs won't chase the rabbits out of the garden, why worry about the useless things?

Re: Rabbits in Garden

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:26 am

The garden is fenced with an 18 inch fence and the rabbits go under it but the dogs cant get through it. And the dogs are not always roaming the yard. I plan to get stakes or make stakes for the bottom of the fence but we would also like something else to deter them encase they some how get through.
Thanks
Josh

Re: Rabbits in Garden

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Depending on how far from the neighbors and local laws, a 22 rifle or for less of a bang- a pump up pellet gun.

Re: Rabbits in Garden

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Eugene wrote:Depending on how far from the neighbors and local laws, a 22 rifle or for less of a bang- a pump up pellet gun.


Ah, acute lead poisoning! Very effective! Ed

Re: Rabbits in Garden

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:08 pm

What is the purpose of the fence? Is it to keep the dogs out of the garden or the critters? If the dogs won't hurt the garden take down the fence and let them keep the little bunnies out.

Re: Rabbits in Garden

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Barnyard wrote:What is the purpose of the fence? Is it to keep the dogs out of the garden or the critters? If the dogs won't hurt the garden take down the fence and let them keep the little bunnies out.

Fence is to keep the dogs out. The would just run through it. I was also to keep the bunnies out. My Post maybe a little to far apart and they can move the bottom of the fence if they push hard enough. They want our six and a half foot corn. I would shoot them but Amanda wont let me. I told her my twelve gauge cant miss!!

Re: Rabbits in Garden

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Porn goes good With rabbit.

Edit.. lol The P is suppose to be a C to read "Corn goes good with Rabbit"

was good for a chuckle anyhow.
Last edited by Former Member on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Rabbits in Garden

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:36 pm

Dale Shaw wrote:Porn goes good With rabbit.

:shock: :lol:

Re: Rabbits in Garden

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Google "rabbit repellents", you'll find lots of non-lethal options.

Bob

Re: Rabbits in Garden

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:59 am

Marigolds are supposed to work.I say eat them!!!! Get a hawk,trap or shoot!!! Hawks been keeping my population down here.Lucky I guess.Kevin...good luck!!! :? :? :?

Re: Rabbits in Garden

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:35 pm

We have 4 cats and 3 of them are very aggressive hunters. I would bet they've killed over 15 rabbits this year. Problem is, we have a cat door, and they often bring their prey in the house, sometimes while still alive. Or you find a 1/2 rabbit on your kitchen floor. The purpose of the cat door is so they can hunt mice in the house too. But the crops are being damaged a lot less this year. The cats are 14 months old, so last season, they were too young. This year they are really making a difference.

Re: Rabbits in Garden

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:59 pm

bobperry wrote:We have 4 cats and 3 of them are very aggressive hunters. I would bet they've killed over 15 rabbits this year. Problem is, we have a cat door, and they often bring their prey in the house, sometimes while still alive. Or you find a 1/2 rabbit on your kitchen floor. The purpose of the cat door is so they can hunt mice in the house too. But the crops are being damaged a lot less this year. The cats are 14 months old, so last season, they were too young. This year they are really making a difference.

I had a weasel in my house courtesy of the cat door. Plus chipmunks, squirrels, snakes, birds, rabbits. I am sure we would have had a wild turkey in the house if the door was bigger :? .

Re: Rabbits in Garden

Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:00 pm

My neighbor has three strands of electric wire, probably 15 inches high. Even the deer keep away. Nice because you can step right over it. I'm tempted.

Re: Rabbits in Garden

Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:27 pm

bob in CT wrote:My neighbor has three strands of electric wire, probably 15 inches high. Even the deer keep away. Nice because you can step right over it. I'm tempted.


We've thought about the electric route too. Certainly there's no perfect system. Because we have little kids and a dog and the cats running around.

About a month ago, I was awoken to a very loud screeching right next to my bed. I thought the cats had a big bird, so I yelled "GET OUTA HERE !!!" and I shut the door. Next morning, I get up to a house full of rabbit fur, an intestine over here, a leg over here, etc.