This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wild Garden Year!

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Wild Garden Year!

Postby SONNY » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:46 pm

We have a wild year for garden this year, but did come in with some good crops of some varieties of veggies!---others were killed out by the heat and no rain! I think Virginia has some pics of some the stuff that was actually good this year!---gotta look them up!---havent been on much this year! thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Wild Garden Year!

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:59 am

We had one of our better years for gardens this year in spite of the heat and drought. We got it out earlier than usual and much of it was getting pretty mature by the time the weather started being a problem. We had planned to only water small portions in order to reduce the strain on the well, but it was so close to mature that we went ahead and watered it all. For most of the watering we use an oscillating sprinkler setting on a barrel to get above the mature plants, with a timer that runs it 3 hours late in the evening and either 2 or 3 hours depending on how dry it is early again in the morning. In places where I can I use a sprinkler hose to reduce water waste, but due to the calcium in our water a sprinkler hose only lasts a couple of seasons. By watering this way I only need to water once every week to 10 days. I normally run the tiller set shallow between the rows to break up the crust so the water will soak in better. Of course I have used several thousand gallons of water like this, which would not be reasonable o city water.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:04 am

We have had some rain on Staten Island but we have had to water a few times. The garden has been a bumper crop.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:33 pm

My garden is doing well. A few rodent issues, early. "Persuaded " them to back off, with ammonia and bleach, in their holes. (makes poisonous gas) Later, I'll have to worry about the antlered rodents. They wiped out my butternut squash, last fall. Rain and wind knocked down some corn, Friday, but it should survive. Had 5 inches of rain, Friday night. Tomatoes were slow to start ripening, but they are ripening now. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Temperature didn't bother so much as did dry although we were way above normal. We are below normal temp right now. We are in a drought disaster area so the only way to have any garden was to water. Soaker hoses under an entirely mulched garden works well but still a lot of pumping. Electric bill high - our well is 100 feet - but most of the elec was for AC. Garden is doing ok. Deer ate the tomato tops but we will get enough. Racoons and woodchucks were sent to heaven. The birds are eating the tips of the corn so we share that. Never had them do it before. Ony crop we nearly lost was parsnips.
May you have good eating. Vern
The green in the lawn is mostly weedy stuff that came on after last weeks rains. Grass is slowly growing. Was a crunchy brown.

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:49 pm

my Watermellon good, the cantalope did poorly, they rottened on the vines
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:04 pm

Watermelons are doing really good once they got started,--- NOW , all melons are splittin open from the temp, moisture, and the variables that they cant handle!---we got some great big ole watermelons for our own eating, so all was not lost in all the work we put into them! thanks; sonny

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:37 am

Same problem here with the cantalopes.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”