This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Planting Halted

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Planting Halted

Postby SONNY » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Planting has been halted due to 1.8" of rain/cold/high winds! ---Here is a pic of the onion rows up to this point.--12 bunches left to plant as soon as top drys off enough to get back on the old creeper!

Total # of plants looks like its going to run between 5,000 to 6,000 plants this year,so there will be 3 full wide rows and part of a 4'th row!---This year I am using a different row pattern than in past years.--this wide row system will maximize the fertilize/spray coverage, saving on chems. ---the sprayer setup on the tractor will do a better/faster job than the 2 gallon hand sprayer.---the rows had to be spaced wider to straddle the row and have room so as to not run over the leaves when the plants grow big and the leaves lay over in the middles of the rows.---gets kinda complicated to explain!!LOL!!

Also just did get the spring wheat, Hulless oats, and Robust barley drilled hours before the rain started, and everything should come to life soon!---ground here was getting awfully dry with all the high winds we had lately (37 to 45 mph for several days)
Did get a little of the other ground tilled with the "new"tiller power unit and if all goes well this little guy will do the rest of the heavy tilling this year!---small/lightweight/high horsepower, and no compaction at all!LOL!!---could use some front weight, but I can get by for now with it! thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Planting Halted

Postby OliverFarmall » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:58 am

Sonny
What type of onions do you plant ? What do you do with that many of them ?
Glad you got in what you got in. I was hoping to have my oats in by now, but I haven't gotten the ground for them plowed yet. I did get the ground worked for our tater patch and should be getting them in this weekend atleast.
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:49 pm

We grow the the big sweet onions.--This year we have about 16 different varieties!--yellow granex , white bermuda, texas early white, red zeppelin, walla-walla, alisa craig, ringmaster, yellow spanish, copra, redwing, big daddy, , sterling, Texas Ledgend,(only from our plant grower) 1015Y Texas super sweet,candy, super star---thats the most of them that I can think of right off hand!--some are hybrids some are open!
we dont plant too many sets, but if price is right I will plant several pounds of them late!

After we harvest them and cure them a bit we donate them to our local home sweet home mission, and the use tons of onions ,taters, all kinds of veggies during the season so we supply them with truck loads of veggies during garden season.
We are still rained out here and the spring wheat, hulless oats, and robust barley should be up in a few days with this cold air!
Didnt get taters in yet,---couldnt do more than one thing at the time! LOL!!The oats (other spring planted grain crops) need to be in as soon as possible,--like taters & onions, but the weather dont always work in our favor! LOL!!! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:42 pm

Here are a couple of equipment pics of this years beginnings!---the high horsepower tiller unit, The IH model M grain drill!
The pumpkin is from the seed test and is now blooming in the window!---some of the sweet taters are sprouting in the jars and we harvested a couple more green beans from another seed test!thanks; sonny

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:58 am

Looking good Sonny!
"I ain't believing this!"

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:12 am

I pull that same tiller with my H. Hope everyone has a good crop this year.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Got the old mater vines raked off the garden with the cub today, Wind was terrible but the ground was dry enough for light tractors, so I went for it and looked good enough to till! --supposed to rain here tonight or tomorrow so I did also get weed killer put on the onions and strawberry beds---still have to sprinkle a dab of fertilizer on the onions!---did the fruit trees in the rain a couple days ago, so they should be ok, except for the first cover spray! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”