(Canadian Family Cookbook)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 egg yolks
3 medium-sized fully ripe bananas, sieved (about 1-1/4 cups)
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 egg whites, beaten to stiff, not dry, peaks
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together; set aside.
2. Cream butter with extract. Gradually add sugar, creaming thoroughly. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Beating only until smooth after each addition, alternately add dry ingredients in fourths and a mixture of the sieved bananas and buttermilk in thirds to creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts.
4. Fold the beaten egg whites gently into batter until thoroughly blended. Turn batter into 2 prepared 9-inch layer cake pans; spread evenly to edges.
5. Bake at 350 F 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake tests done.
6. Cool and remove from pans as directed for butter-type cakes. Fill and frost with a butter cream frosting.