This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

End of a Era

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

End of a Era

Postby Joe Malinowski » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:01 pm

On a cub express for Buzzarwing I took a ride up to what was for 3 generations my wife's family farm. A small time one man dairy operation milking 60 heads had no future for her uncle. The family divided the farm after her grandmother died and last year the main farm buildings and some acerage was sold. The new owner took down some of the buldings that were too far gone to save. I was pleased to see the work on restoring the barn has begun. Her uncle now works at the local farmers exchange and in his spare time raises some replacement hefers and sells hay.Image
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: End of a Era

Postby Barnyard » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:08 pm

It's a shame to see the old farms dying off. My mothers family farm is now mostly a residental development while my dads family place has sold their's to commercial development. My uncle bought the 80 acres dad farmed and his son now farms it. My place was once a 100+ acre farm until the PO sold off all but the 5 1/2 acres I bought.

I hate to see it all go.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:33 am

Well Bill at least this farm land was put into protection under the APR program so there will be no development for residential or commercial.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:18 am

Joe Malinowski wrote:Well Bill at least this farm land was put into protection under the APR program so there will be no development for residential or commercial.

That's good. Some areas around here are doing that. We have seen huge farms along the intersates turn into malls and new interstate ramps to serve them. Several large farms about 45 minutes from me sold out to Toyota for a new truck factory a few years ago when the big bucks were flashed their way. Now with Toyotas troubles, who knows what might happen. Wal-Mart bought a big tract of land to build a store, Several years later they bought another huge chunk just a mile from that one to build a bigger store. The old one sits empty because of the economy and may never be used again because once they moved other stores moved because of declining business. That land will never be farmed again. Three years ago they bought 54 acres down the road from us to build another store. They tore down all the buildings and the cornfeids grew into massive weed patches that they did not maintain while they waited for zoning approval. The county told them to keep the property mowed but took almost two years before they did. There was a huge protest over the store and zoning did not allow the permits. Wal-mart then offer 14 of the acres to the city to use as a park and also committed to buy us a new $700,000.00 ladder truck for our fire department. When that didn't work they threatened a lawsuit. The city leaders were afraid and were going to give in. Since we have Wal-marts within 15-20 minutes away to the east and west of us, there was a massive campaign amongst area resident who hired an attorney and countersued. Wal-Mart decided they had enough so they put the land up for sale. At least now they are renting the land to an area farmer who can grow crops on it. The land value will probably keep it from ever selling as a far again.

This is not a slam on Wal-Mart, I am only using them as an example of the businesses that are eating up our farms. There are many others out there doing the same.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

dirtyred
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31648
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub (tinkerbell) 1949 allis chalmers(ole bess) 1949-50 ?john deere model a

Postby dirtyred » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:20 pm

ohio is farm country compared to south ga. what once was dairys and farms are now subdivisions with half the homes for sale and empty or forclosed on half built. we got two walmarts for about 90,000 folks in 3 or 4 counties. they are about six miles apart??? why so close? instead o buying abandoned commercial properties and building they screw up good land. Money talks though and something else walks
He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: Proverbs 12:11

VAcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23061
eBay ID: Jgclark3
Tractors Owned: -
49 cub
48 cub
52 super A
04 JD 345
43 JD B
79 cub

Postby VAcub » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:17 am

You should have taken the sign with you...
Wisdom comes with age, I just haven't reached that age yet.......LOL

Glxy500
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36280
Tractors Owned: 48' Cub "Junky"
152 Disc Plow
Scratcher (according to cottonpicker)

53' Cub "Ray"
152 Disc Plow

53' Super A "Spunky"
4 Spring tooth cultivators

06' John Deere 125 Automatic Mower

Postby Glxy500 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:45 pm

Some call it progress. I think they are Goofy. I guess it all over our disappearing America. I really hate to see these big places come in and tear up the land. We had Kia build a plant and sucked up a huge amount of acreage from this area. You're right though, money talks.

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joe Malinowski » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:54 am

As for taking the sign the uncle who ran the farm has it at his place he kept about 100 acres, and is playing with a few hefers and some hay just to keep busy. No more dairy though.
Joe

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 pm

One of my sons brought a friend over, who commented on all the "wasted" land, in my neighborhood. I asked what he meant. He said, "open fields, no development" I asked him if he liked to eat. He couldn't make the connection. I told my son, "If you bring him back here, I can't guarantee that he'll leave, with a pulse!" Hasn't been back. Just as well, I like being on the same side of the fence, as the sheriff! Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:25 pm

It is sad, but that's how it works sometimes. Around here the land is pretty high value but 'conversion' is slowing.

Always amazed about zoning, when you require a big lot you can never have a 'village' anymore. Not only can't walk to the store anymore, but even a visit with the neighbor requires a car. Worse is it forces breaking up farmland/timber land into house lots. All it takes is one kid in school and you lost more tax revenue than you gained by the increase in the tax base.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:43 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:It is sad, but that's how it works sometimes. Around here the land is pretty high value but 'conversion' is slowing.

All it takes is one kid in school and you lost more tax revenue than you gained by the increase in the tax base.

Larry, they are beginning to notice this, in some towns. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:28 pm

Farm or timber land usually has limited need for police, fire, water, sewage, road maintenance, ect. Everybody needs to live somewhere, but few can afford an acre lot. So it also serves to keep a town 'exclusive' by zoning.

I remember many years ago someone complaining that we were chopping corn in the evening and the noise and dust was annoying them. Sorta like moving near an airport and complaining the aircraft make noise. That corn field is exclusive houses now.

One can only hope that folks wake up to where there food comes from and how it is produced. Small farmers just can't compete against 'factory' farms and imported goods and make a decent living. But there is nothing better than local stuff grown by someone who cares about their land and products.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:03 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:
One can only hope that folks wake up to where there food comes from and how it is produced. Small farmers just can't compete against 'factory' farms and imported goods and make a decent living. But there is nothing better than local stuff grown by someone who cares about their land and products.

Small farmers can, but it takes some creativity in finding the right product and the right market. The CSA, the local farmers market, organics, and some other niches are really beginning to catch on. But yes, I hear and agree with all of you. No one ever stops to think about where the food comes from--they just assume if they live close to a wallyworld or a grocery store, they won't go hungry. :? Plus development drives up the price of land to the point most "regular" people can't afford to buy it for agriculture. So it gets cut into postage stamp-sized lots with an ugly house on each one.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:48 am

My father was always pretty innovative when it came to farming, his machinery was all old, but got the job done. In this area though cattle were the main income and he was pretty sharp at that. His cattle were always well fed, and while they weren't pets, they weren't wild either, so people knew they had had good attention. 45+ years ago he was the first one to breed white faced Herefords to a black Angus bull in this area. A bunch of the old timers gave him a hard way to go for it at first, but then they started watching his calves sell. There were some buyers that had standing orders to be notified when dad's calves came to the local sale barn, and his calves always brought form 30 to 50% more than comparable size calves. I figure if he were still alive and farming, he would be doing organic farming now, and like one of our neighbors who runs a small operation but has private customers who are always waiting for his produce and beef.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

cyriaque
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72555
Tractors Owned: farmall cub

Re: End of a Era-holstein sign

Postby cyriaque » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:56 am

I'd love to have that sign. It's a great piece of folk art.
Charles

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”