This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stumps and Muskrats

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Stumps and Muskrats

Postby JBall8019 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:02 am

Hi Everyone,
I have found that placing a a toilet cleaning bleach block on stumps makes them soft enough to pulverize with an axe maul. It usually takes about 6 months. Does anyone out there have a better way to get rid of stumps besides calling for someone to come over with a grinder? Last week i was cutting along the pond and I almost flipped my cub because it sank front axle deep into a muskrat hole. It scared the hell out of me! I have managed to trap two muskrats this summer and shot up one last summer but I am not sure If i got them all. Anyone got some ideas on what kinda bait I should be using? I sorta feel like Elmer Fudd :wink: hunting rascally mukrats but I cannot let them destroy the fishing pond or my cub. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated!!!
Thanks
John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:24 am

Anyone got some ideas on what kinda bait I should be using?

When I trapped muskrats as a kid we did not use bait. look for tracks and a path where they have been entering and leaving the water. Set your trap
under about 4" of water with the chain anchored offshore. (tied to a brick) When he enters or leaves the water and steps in the trap, he will panic, head for deeper water and drown.
I sold enough muskrat pelts in the early sixty's to buy my first new .22 rifle. They were bringing $8 each.
Best,
Mike

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:31 am

Better find out how your state Fish and game feels about Muskrat trapping also. If it is dangerous they can be a help or lead you to people who will help you. If they come upon the info you are trapping in a manner they don't like you will find life very unpleasant and expensive. Ask around local fishing and hunting guys first. Stops unpleasant surprises and you might come up with some one to do it for you. Worked for me very well having guys trapping to keep my 1200 foot dam in one piece, rather than pierced by rat holes. One of the trappers even kept me in honey and maple syrup as a thank you. Life can be pleasant if you let it.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:32 pm

Follow Beaconlights advice and check with your local fish and game department. since muskrats tunneling through a dam is considered hazardous, they may come and trap them for you.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:05 pm

I agree with Mike I did the same as a Kid trapped for a living. Bought everything I ever had from the money from pelts. They like apples slices , Lettuce, Probly even seeds. I use to find there holes in the water and put a 110 conibare trap over the hole or in a run and catch them that way its about the most humane it does the job pretty quick.
JON

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”