Poisoned my dog

Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:28 pm

Here is a warning so this will not happen to you and your dog. Bought mouse/rat poison yesterday. Set down in garage in original package did not think much about and while I was at work today the dog opened package and ate it all. She is gonna make it, over nite stay at vets, shots and a month of pills.

Re: Poisoned my dog

Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:41 pm

Glad to hear the dog will be OK. That would be devastating.

Re: Poisoned my dog

Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:14 pm

Thanks for the reminder. Glad to hear the dog will be okay.

Bob

Re: Poisoned my dog

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:17 pm

brought back a bad memory, one of the kids came home from college and wanted to get some things down from the loft in the barn a few years back. i had a bag full of poison sitting on a fifty five gallon drum. it was inadvertently sat on the floor and left there. :shock: my first jack russell cappy ate it until he was passing green florescent stools.it was too late for him but this is a good warning about the keeping of bait poisons and such. especially with it being the time of year that a lot of folks are probably starting to really lay down a lot of bait stations with the cold weather setting in. i keep all of my baits in sealed plastic buckets now and only put out bait stations that are lockable.

Re: Poisoned my dog

Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:58 am

About seven years ago I had put out bait in the garage and never gave it another thought. About an hour later I saw the dog chewing on something outside the door. It was the poison box. I went to the garage and the box and all the bait was gone. it was somewhat late and I called the vet and left a messagge. He called back within 15 -20 minutes and said to get a turkey baster and shoot hydrogen peroxide down his throat (the dog's throat not the vet's). I made a quick trip to the local 24 hour grocery and grabbed a baster and hydrogen peroxide. It didn't seem to work for almost an hour. Later I put the dog in the garage for the night and I heard him gag. Needless to say he let loose of everything in his stomach. Why he had to wait to do it on the garage floor is beyond me (payback for gagging him probably) but he lived happily ever after.

On a similar note, a guy I worked with came in one day and said he found both his dogs dead. Later he said he had drained his antifreeze over the weekend and had left the full pan by his garage door. Soon after that he said he saw the one dog drinking from it and chased him and then disposed of it. He said he hoped he hadn't killed his dogs. None of had to heart to tell him that, inadvertantly, he had.

Re: Poisoned my dog

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Barnyard wrote:About seven years ago I had put out bait in the garage and never gave it another thought. About an hour later I saw the dog chewing on something outside the door. It was the poison box. I went to the garage and the box and all the bait was gone. it was somewhat late and I called the vet and left a messagge. He called back within 15 -20 minutes and said to get a turkey baster and shoot hydrogen peroxide down his throat (the dog's throat not the vet's). I made a quick trip to the local 24 hour grocery and grabbed a baster and hydrogen peroxide. It didn't seem to work for almost an hour. Later I put the dog in the garage for the night and I heard him gag. Needless to say he let loose of everything in his stomach. Why he had to wait to do it on the garage floor is beyond me (payback for gagging him probably) but he lived happily ever after.

On a similar note, a guy I worked with came in one day and said he found both his dogs dead. Later he said he had drained his antifreeze over the weekend and had left the full pan by his garage door. Soon after that he said he saw the one dog drinking from it and chased him and then disposed of it. He said he hoped he hadn't killed his dogs. None of had to heart to tell him that, inadvertantly, he had.


WOW...that brought back something I had forgotten about.....our Jack russel ate a ear off a stuffed toy....it was a rabbit....I called the vet and he metioned the peroxide trick....it worked in less than 30 seconds...I felt so bad as the dog was gurgling on the inside.....but all was well after the clean up....
Robert (misses Moone) Miller