Farming / preparing land question

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!

Moderator: Team Cub

FLOPGUY
Zip Code: 08087

Farming / preparing land question

Postby FLOPGUY » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:52 pm

I live in South NJ and I cleared some of my land to plant about 1/2 acre. My land had pine / oak and maple trees and under neath the growth was primarily wild blue berries and some kind of thorn plan (nasty root runs forever with single strand popping out of the ground.

I removed the trees/stumps and have it down to dirt/sand but under ground is a network of roots(1/4" to 3/8' diameter) and they keep sending growth up. I have let the land rest for 4 years and just cut the growth down a few times a year, but the roots keep sending them up.. If I took the dirt away the roots would look like a fish net (thats how dense)

Is there something that I can put on the back of my cub to rip it out? or show I just use a moldboard plow?

Any suggestions?

Mike

Shane Nelson
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 27284
Tractors Owned: .
1947 Circle Cub #1447 (Arnold)
195? Cub
1970 International 140 (Norman)
1949 John Deere A
1972 Schramm Pneumatractor
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farming / preparing land question

Postby Shane Nelson » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:00 pm

You can try plowing it but you will probably get frustrated quickly with them getting hung around the beam. You may have to spray it at the proper time of year to kill all the roots and go from there. Roots can be a nasty thing to deal with.
God is good, all the time!
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?
Circle of Safety

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:56 pm

First thing I would do is mow it more often than "a few times a year". You would be surprised how fast regular mowing (weekly or 10 day intervals) would knock out the brush and get decent grass growing if it can. You want to keep stressing the brush. The longer intervals gives it time to recuperate and strengthen after mowing. Shorter intervals will use more energy than the roots can provide and frequent mowings doesn't give the leaves time to make energy to store in the roots.

A half acre shouldn't take very long to mow.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48423
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:06 am

Solve the weed problem with Roundup. The weeds need to have leaves before roundup will work. Apply when there is little chance of rain and give the roundup a couple of weeks to work.
With plowing, the old tree roots will be more of a difficulty than anything. I think I would try to disc the land. This would tear up the first couple of inches. Plowing would be better, but until the root problem is gone, this will be very frustrating.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller

Bill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43420

Postby Bill » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:16 am

I see this product mention on RFD AG PHD Tuesday @ 8.00 PM. Direct TV. http://www.arborchem.com/label-sds/qa_Dow_TordonK.pdf

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:12 am

I'm going to go outside the box a little here and suggest that you find someone local to spray the plot and burn down what vegetation exists. Then find some one (perhaps the same person) to do an initial deep plowing and disking to break up the root systems. You shouldn't have trouble finding someone in South Jersey farm country. Once this is done, the ground should be in a condition for you to manage.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:18 am

Brother stopped by yesterday. He recently purchased 10 acres that he needs to clear brush. I gave him pretty much the same advise as the previous posters.

I did recommend that he purchase a 15 gallon Fimco pressure sprayer since he has a 12 volt tractor and small cart. It normally takes several sprayings to kill the vegetation. And then, some spraying operations are continual, perhaps several times a year, such as spraying fence lines, thistle, moving back brush, etc..

Edit: What I thought was interesting, brother owns part of a cemetery. No graves in brother's part of the cemetery, which is good. If I was my mine, I wouldn't let anyone put a grave on my property.
I have an excuse. CRS.

FLOPGUY
Zip Code: 08087

Postby FLOPGUY » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:36 pm

I can't burn. I live in the pinelands and last month when I burned a few limbs and the fire tower saw my smoke and they came to read me the riot act.. Next time they will come back guns drawn..

I did try to disc the area, and even weighted the disc and I was not getting deep enough to hit the roots or the disc walked on top of the roots due to their denseness.

I was thinking of maybe something like a hook that has a sharpened edge along the back of the hook and go a fews inches below and rip them up and possible plow afterwards

If I use some sort of herbicide will I still be able to plant next year?

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Eugene wrote:........
Edit: What I thought was interesting, brother owns part of a cemetery. No graves in brother's part of the cemetery, which is good. If I was my mine, I wouldn't let anyone put a grave on my property.
If the cemetery has been placed in trust (to many variables to discuss here), you wouldn't have a choice since you really don't own the cemetery, just the ground around it. Check out RSMo 214

(For those of you not in Missouri like Eugene and I, RSMo 214 is Revised Statutes of Missouri Chapter 214. That's the chapter dealing with cemeteries)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:28 pm

You can plant next year if you use most herbicides.

Did you tell the local fire department that you were going to burn? In this part of Missouri, if you are going to have a big burn (fire), it's advisable to notify the local fire apartment ahead of time. That way when folks see the fire and report it to the fire department, the department knows who is burning and where. And the fire department will not send out an unneeded crew.

I herbicide my brush and trees that I want to remove. Kill the trees and brush, spray sprouts. Wait a year and drop the tree, leaving a 3 or 4 foot tall stump. Cut up the tree for fire wood. Let the tree roots rot for a couple of years, then pull the stump. The brush, once killed and dry, disk harrow, breaking up the stems into small pieces. Small pieces of brush on the ground will rapidly rot.

You didn't state which crops you are planning on planting. Consider no till. That way you don't need to plow.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:03 pm

Scrivet wrote:
Eugene wrote:........
If the cemetery has been placed in trust (to many variables to discuss here), you wouldn't have a choice since you really don't own the cemetery, just the ground around it. Check out RSMo 214

(For those of you not in Missouri like Eugene and I, RSMo 214 is Revised Statutes of Missouri Chapter 214. That's the chapter dealing with cemeteries)
Brother and I did not have a lengthy discussion on the cemetery. Brother just said that he was mowing along his fence line, on his cemetery land, saw workers in the cemetary and had a conversation with them.

What I have found out about indian burial sites and cemeteries. Basically, you can not keep people from crossing your property to visit a burial site.

I'll see my brother in 2 or 3 weeks. I'll suggest that he research his land title, and the cemetary. In Iowa the county assessor title would have a record of both properties and any adjustments. Then the county recorder should be able to pull up any recorded transactions/restrictions on the portion of the cemetary brother owns.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48423
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:29 am

A Subsoiler (also called a ripper) can probably rip through the roots. If you run this every foot or two, it rips up the mess of roots and then they won't tangle up so bad on the plow.
Here's a 3-point version available at most farm stores.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-subsoiler
I doubt that a cub has enough horsepower, torque, and traction to do the job when dealing with tree roots.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:44 am

FLOPGUY wrote:I can't burn.

The term "burn down", although it may be a local thing here, does not refer to actual burning with flame. It means to apply an herbicide to kill all the existing vegetation down to bare ground.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:05 am

What you might do is research the type of trees you have on your property. See if you can find out how long it takes for the roots to rot once the tree is killed. In this part of Missouri we have eastern red cedar. Once the eastern red cedar is killed, the larger tree roots rot off in a year or two.

It can take years to clean up a property. Son and I have owned the acreage for a bit over 15 years. We are still working to remove unwanted trees. We have got the brush cleaned up. What you might do is put as much of the cleaned up acreage into pasture or hay until you can put in row crops.

It would probably worth while to hire a neighbor with a big tractor and sub soiler to rip up the tree roots.

If you have a ditch or an area on the side of the property, you can pile up the trees and tree branches, they will rot off/down in a couple of years.

Edit: Just like to add that maintaining and improving a property is a never ending project.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:59 pm

FLOPGUY wrote:I live in South NJ and I cleared some of my land to plant about 1/2 acre............

1/2 acre isn't even half a football field. Shouldn't need to drag in the bulldozers for something this size.

FLOPGUY wrote:........
I did try to disc the area, and even weighted the disc and I was not getting deep enough to hit the roots or the disc walked on top of the roots due to their denseness.........
A disc should work but it will take several passes. Don't expect perfection in a single pass. First, plenty of weight, second, you need an adjustable angle disc like the Cub 23A and start off with the discs straight ahead. Once they start cutting in a little bit then you can start angling them.