Good towing semi?

Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:12 pm

I was just wondering if anybody had any quick/cheap ideas of what to do with this truck to put tractors on, besides a goose neck. One of my uncles has one that runs, and is willing to give it to us, so I'm trying to get some ideas to convince my dad that it's a good idea. Like a "flatbed" on the hitch? with a small pintle/ball hitch? ... ytruck.jpg
there's the truck, well not THE truck, but his is almost the same besides the paint :oops:
Thanks, Johnny

Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:44 pm

won't you need a cdl to drive that one?

Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:20 am

CDL to drive with air brake endorsement.
Cost about $2500.00 a year to lic & if you go out of state a IFTA sticker
cost I'm not sure.
A few other costs one steer tire $300.00 and up.
10 to 12 gal. of oil per change.
Diesel at todays prices.
I think I would pass.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:41 am

It'll probably be more cost effective to look for something like a old 2-5 ton farm truck and go from there. Maybe a old International, or even a old Chevrolet. I used to work on a farm where we had a old C-60 we did alot with.

Semi would be overkill, unless you owned one already and actually worked it to make it pay for it's self. I think i'll have to agree with the other guys, I'd pass.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:18 am

I forgot to mention that this would be FREE!!!!
For the amount of th eyear that we would use this thing, it wouldn't be that expensinve to run, and my dad and brother would get the CDL's, because I'm not 18 :cry:

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:45 am

Don't forget about insurance tho. Insurance is outragous on those trucks usually. Free or not, do alot of research before you go much futher.


Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:32 am

K, I am gonna bite:

First of FREE gets my attention. Even if the truck was just restored to pristine condition, had a flat bed or a 5th wheel to go with it.... either way FREE is still :!: :!: :roll: :lol:

My dream would be to have an older K series 1 ton I guess flatbed with a pintle hook up to tow my Cubs and Implements from show to show.

I am assuming that would be the case here :?: :)

I see people from all over North America -- they have Semi's as the motive power for their mobile homes..., even saw a few straight trucks with bodies modified as mobile homes -- RV's if that is what is more commonly known as... but either way.. it is do-able.

If you guys like the truck, are interested in it, have justification for what we call a Class 1 license and the insurance/fuel is a non-issue

GO FOR IT :!: :!: :!:

Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:53 pm

Depending on your state...........

If you added a roll back or flatbed, you could re-title as a reconstructed vehicle with a much lower weight class.....Possibly even registering it as a "farm truck"...incidental highway use only (yeah yeah....I know, but who is gonna know). Just don't do a lot of joy riding, and you should be fine.

This will help a great deal as far as registration and insurance.

Being that it is an air-brake equipped vehicle, however, you will still need the CDL with air brake endorsement.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:16 pm

Wish you lived closer. I gots one of those trucks I will give away for free. Its a 58-Dodge 10-wheeler flatbed that I stopped driving 15-years ago cause license and insurance killed all my profits.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:12 pm

Rudi, Yes this truck would be used to haul some of the 5 Farmall's, and we need a big truck for the H because it's soo heavy and wide.

johnbron, that'd be nice if you were closer :lol:

Russel and Tom, I would only use it a couple of times a year for towing a small trailer, not a gooseneck. So the gas won't be that much of a problem. We could see which way is cheapest for the insurance.

Also there is no ruch for me to get it out of there, so it can sit there untill we get to it. I think that we could put a flatbed on the back, and a pintle hitch for hauling around a small trailer.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:13 pm

Rudi, watch the license plates on the trucks you see. In many states if it has a bathroom it is licensed as an RV, not a truck, no matter what it weighs or you pull with it.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:49 pm

I wonder if you straped a port poty to the back and put a sleeping bag in the cab if you could call it a RV?? :lol:

Be lots cheaper then!!

I think in TN if it's single axle and re titled for lower weight you can register as a non-commerce or farm truck. Alot of the walking horse folks in middle TN do that, just need a cdl with air/b endorsement. And I think you can regular vehicle insurance then. Still a little pricey but not near as bad if it was left high weight and commercial. You see lots of older retired petes and mac at the walking horse shows that have been cut down, pulling fifth wheel van trailers that have also been re-designed. Some of the fancier trucks will have a PTO generator installed to run lights, fans, horse trimmers, and curling irons(women gotta have their hair pretty).

Probaby leave it 5th wheel, remover center axle, cut off some length and put a pintle hitch on the rear. or just put a flat bed and pintle on it. You might try contacting a local DOT official to help you out with info on your states laws. Getting it reregistered could help with cost.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:16 am

then there is the matter of 4 miles per gulp, dry rot tires, seals etc. from lack of use. don't forget the medical expenses with that cdl [physicals, drug tests, etc.] see how you feel about having that brock sitting around while mice eat the hundred dollar air filter this winter. this truck is sized to haul a hundred tractors [in pieces]. that thing will beat you to death with no more weight than you intend on hauling. kinda like using a wheelbarrow to carry a postage stamp. these comments come from more than three million miles of experience.

ask yourself this. if people who use these trucks to earn a living cant afford to keep one of those things going, how can you possibly afford it just for giggles?

if you can get cubs to multiply in the same manner as horses you may be on to something.

if i had the desire to haul tractors around the countryside my choice would probably be a retired grain truck with a trailer. most of the grain trucks in my back yard are big enough for 3 tractors and would easily pull a trailer with a couple more. fuel mileage would be at least 3 times as efficient. the ride would be tremendously more comfortable. repair can put a new engine in a grain truck for the price of injectors in the big rig. you can replace all the tires on an axle for the price a single tire on the brockway.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:20 pm

Is this truck old enough for historical tags? A collector friend of mine here in Ohio has a semi tractor with historical tags on it and CDL, permits and other neccessities for a commercial vehicle are not required.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:30 pm

Ok, the thing is that it wasn't money that stopped this thing from it's glory, it was that my uncle just got another one and slowly stopped using this one.

I don't know how old it is yet, but I would bet that it is old enough, I think here in NH it is about 25 years? to have antique plates.

I don't even know that much about it, but it was used for a plow too, untill he got out of the plowing buisness.