Purchasing used surveying equipment

Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:14 pm

Has anyone ever purchased a used surveyor's transit? Year's ago during one college summer, I worked as a surveyor's assistant. I could sure use a transit for setting levels primarily, but it would also be handy to establish square angles and corners. With all of the modern electronics surveyor's use today it would seem that the old manual transits would have become pretty reasonable. I'm just not sure where to go about looking for one while determining it is still accurate. Anyone have one they'd like to sell?

Any suggestions?


Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:20 pm

I looked at one last year at lowe's if I remember correctly it was under $200. You might want to check to be sure. I borrowed one never purchased it.
good luck

Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:56 pm

I saw one at the thrift store in town about a month ago complete with tripod. The price was $10 and the only reason I didn`t buy it was because it would not fit in My dinky little car. I went back the next day with My truck and it had been sold.

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:24 pm

I have been looking for a transit myself so I dont have to borrow and potentially break the company's very expensive equipment. I think what kevin was looking at is a level and not a transit. Ebay and alot of pawn shops have them and they go for a fair price. The best place to look for them is at the survey supply shops and they wil also adjust them.

Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:30 pm

Some of the self leveling laser levels are good for grading too. There are some that rotate. from those you can set all kins of grades. I have seen one that shoots square corners too.