This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

trim work done

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

trim work done

Postby John(videodoc) » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:57 pm

as promised, i got the trim stuff finished today in my wood shop. got up early, and even worked up a sweat in this cold, trying to get it done before lunch. got a honey do list after lunch. heres the pics.

heres the ceiling, as i said i hate sanding, mudding and painting, especially over head.

tell me what ya think

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:37 pm

Very nice. Did you pre-stain the trim?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:47 pm

I like that very much.I hate seaming as well.So I will be using trim between each sheet of wall board as well throughout the whole garage.But I still have to insulate first. 8) :) Bruce
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:13 pm

VERY NICE :) :) :) . I don't like sanding either. I did mine in 1/2 plywood on the ceiling. Your ceiling would real nice with a big IH painted in the middle. :idea: :idea:
Whats everyone think. :?: :?: :?:
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:03 pm

Man you Good and Quick wood butcher. That is meant as big time complement. Remember, with out meat butchers we wouldn't have Filet minon.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:28 pm

Looks good doc, better'n my house.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:01 pm

yep pre stained the boards golden oak, actually had my 7 & 10 yr old staining as i was cutting and nailing. that was working good until the got into a stain fight. trim boards what i call slat boards 1x3's. cheap, i thin 1.59 each 12ft board. :o

as to the ih logo, why'd ya half to go and say that? now you got me to thinking. :roll: :roll:

ifn its wood, i can build it. its metal and engines that i am lacking. in time though i will learn. thats whats it all about.

wait till you all see what i got planned next for the DREAM wood shop.

maybe hard to see, but i put conduit (prewired) beneath the concrete and came up in middle just ahead of the table saw. that why i aint got to trip over an extension cord, or look at one dropping from the ceiling. stay tuned. john

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:45 pm

videodoc wrote:

wait till you all see what i got planned next for the DREAM wood shop.

maybe hard to see, but i put conduit (prewired) beneath the concrete and came up in middle just ahead of the table saw. that why i aint got to trip over an extension cord, or look at one dropping from the ceiling. stay tuned. john

John,

I suppose it's too late for you, but I have two stations in my shop floor with 240 volt outlet, a 24 volt control line for the blower and also a tubing connection to the vacuum system. :shock: No amount of planning can have them in exactly the right place, so that's why there are two. It was built as a dream wood shop but it seems tractors have a way of sneaking in.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:35 am

Looks almost too nice to work in!
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:01 am

hey george, thought about teh central vac. bought shot it done for now anyway. will leave back of cental wall open for future upgrade. cost was the factor.

as to 220, not really needed, here, as no large eguipment and all metal equip in other shop as are tractors. can take pic of the tractor shop ifn you want. will be upgraded to 220 out there. already insulated, even put cement in this year. had my 6 cubs in there with room for a couple more, woulda been tight though. but had to let one go. wifes up coming surgery and all.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:46 pm

I like that ceiling. There’s something about stained wood that always catches my eye. Also whatever seam cracks which may develop you will never see. The windows and doors with window inserts really let masses of light in. How are you heating your shop?

When I built my shops, I probably made a mistake by not putting windows in. I’m always worried when we’re gone, somebody looking through the windows and see something they want and break in. (It also was a cost issue too). In one of the shops I built my Dad his wood working shop and he was a little upset when I didn’t put windows in. It’s a well lighted room, but you can’t look outside in which he really misses when he’s working. I ventilated the shop much like George talked about, but when Dad turned on the ventilator, it sucked the heat out of the area because it’s so air tight. (20’x 30’) room. He started turning the ventilator off when the saw’s were not running and forgetting not to turn it back on when he was staining/painting Ect. With the dust I always had a big concern for explosions, but the fumes from the varnish/stains/paints, I did not only have concerns with explosions, but with health problems. I was thinking about a heat exchanger for the intake side to see if I could make that work, but he started spending his winter months in a warmer climate. He now usually only works in the shop when the weather is warm and he opens the outside entrance door and lets the air blow through the area and in which he can also see the outdoors. Image

When you get done the room looks so wide open and then you start adding shelves, equipment and then the appearance shrinks. It seems you never have enough room after you get done with construction. I have 2650 sq. feet of non living storage area, which is more than my living area and I still don’t have enough room for my stuff.

Notice a little red tint on the concrete floor in front of the truck (Dodge) from previous Cub paint jobs.

P.S. If you can, notice were one of my Cub’s is setting. (Left of the Ford truck) I put John’s hat on the muffler.

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:19 pm

Heat, kerosene currently will look into other options when the fund supply is replenished.

love your shop, yeah your right, when you get all the stuff in there, gets packed. luckily all the woodworking will be in this one, any metal or tractor will be in the other. so i wont have to share missions, in one shop.

the wood shop is 17X24, where the tractor area is 24x30 with additional 9ft x 24 overhang, thats wher my working tractor goes. all the cubs are inside.

john

got the frame work up for the peg board. will start that next weekend. decided to go ahead with peg board all the way around. reasoning
1. always wanted it.
2. is somewhat functional (as i have an almoost unlimited supply of shelving units that will hook right up to em. (may end having to sell a few hundred of these shelves after i get my shop set up and see what i got left)
3. decorative purposes - you'll see when the pics get posted.

will keep ya updated.

glad to see another dodge man on board. :D

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:12 pm

As you can see I have peg board also and it’s being well used!!!

I try to keep all the metal working things out of the wood shop, but sometimes it just doesn’t work, especially when it’s cold. I need to insulate another area of the building so I can keep the machinery stuff out of the wood shop. That takes time and money. I’m starting to get more free time, but the money is a different story.

Sorry about the bad picture, Fluorescent lights mess up a Digital camera.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:33 pm

Jack Fowler wrote: I ventilated the shop much like George talked about, but when Dad turned on the ventilator, it sucked the heat out of the area because it’s so air tight. (20’x 30’) room. He started turning the ventilator off when the saw’s were not running and forgetting not to turn it back on when he was staining/painting Ect. With the dust I always had a big concern for explosions, but the fumes from the varnish/stains/paints, I did not only have concerns with explosions, but with health problems. I was thinking about a heat exchanger for the intake side to see if I could make that work, but he started spending his winter months in a warmer climate.

When you get done the room looks so wide open and then you start adding shelves, equipment and then the appearance shrinks. It seems you never have enough room after you get done with construction. I have 2650 sq. feet of non living storage area, which is more than my living area and I still don’t have enough room for my stuff.

Notice a little red tint on the concrete floor in front of the truck (Dodge) from previous Cub paint jobs.

Jack,

I heat my shop with wood... a very small amount since it's well insulated. My vacuum system vents back into the 1200+ sq ft shop through a filter system and I have an auxiliary circulating filter to use when the woodworking equipment is in operation. By doing it this way, I don't lose (note spelling :shock: ) any heat.

I don't have ANY bare wall. In addition to the overhead door I have 3 walk in doors with large windows in them that don't waste wall space.

I DO have a red floor from the days when I was able to do my own painting.

Health problems mean I have to be very careful about dust and fumes.
George Willer

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:14 pm

videodoc wrote:hey george, thought about teh central vac. bought shot it done for now anyway. will leave back of cental wall open for future upgrade. cost was the factor.

as to 220, not really needed, here, as no large eguipment and all metal equip in other shop as are tractors.

John,

My central system was built with very little outlay, and works much better than the popular screaming one that is readily available. Much of it was assembled from salvaged material. I've had it for about 20 years in two different shops. Some of the details are shown on this web page:

http://photos.toast.net/gwill/vacuum%20system

When I wired the shop, I considered the future was a very big place where future needs would be hard to predict. For that reason I wired the walls with a double box every 4 feet with 240 volts to each box. Then, I would always have the option of splitting 240 outlets off wherever needed and otherwise each box is supplied with 4 120 volt outlets on 2 separate circuits. I don't consider it overkill, since some of them are buried behind stuff now.

The shop is divided into 3 sections... wood shop, machine shop, and welding/painting shop which also houses my pickup. The 240 volt equipment includes the vacuum system, table saw, wide belt sander, 12"planer, two radial arm saws, 3 welder outlets, the Bridgeport mill, 5 HP compressor, and the South Bend lathe. All the rest of the equipment is 120 volt.
George Willer

Return to “Off Topic”