Rocky Mountain water line

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:02 pm

This took me all week :cry: :cry:

6' digging bar, pick. shovel, sore arms, sore back, trick run between boulders you don't even want to think about wanting to remove.

Now you know why I'm so proud of my grass out here John :)

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:14 pm

Mike:

Nice work.. tough site :!: :roll: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I really like the stack wall for your garage/carport... neat :!: :!: 8) :idea: 8)

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:35 pm

With all that rock you seem to have a ready supply of minerals available.

Bill

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:50 pm

So Mike, what do yo do in your spare time????? :) :) :)

Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:05 pm

Mike, It looks like you made it half way before drinking your first bottle of water/gatorade sitting there by the trench. :lol:

Sure is a nice looking rock walled building you have there. :P

Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:57 pm

Mike:
would it been easier to just lay the water line on top of the ground or hang it from the sky hooks. :lol: Better you than me. Nice job.
Jeff

Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:02 pm

Very nice there Mike! I see you passed ditch digging school!

Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:16 pm

Looks too much like work!......YUK ! !

Around here, there's NO WAY that's deep enough !!

You need THIS http://groups.msn.com/SmittysFamilyFunnyFarmPage/cubwithbackhoe.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=68 for THAT !!! :lol:

Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:29 pm

Mike,

When my Dad retired and moved to the Missouri, Ozarks and built his house we went through the same thing. The trencher was useless and the backhoe could only do so much. What was left was a jack hammer, pry bar, pick, a shovel and a whole lot of work. If anything would make you feel better, the frost line in Missouri is about 36’’, about two more feet down in the ground than your water line is.

The rock work is picture perfect. Are you a Mason by trade? In my “neck of the woods” you have to pay top dollar to get that type of work done.

Jack Fowler

Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:21 pm

Jack hammer. Concur with Jack regarding soil in Missouri. Purchased a house several years ago in Missouri with a partial basement. Having dug out basements in Iowa I thought this was going to be a breeze. Started out with a spade then a borrowed a pick axe. Pick axe just bounced off the hard pan. Though what to heck and went to rent a jack hammer. The rental shop wanted $55.00 a day so I purchased one for $1100-. Dug out the basement is short order. I now use the jack hammer to dug trenches, post holes, plant trees and once in a while break up cement.

Regarding the rock walls. What is the process you used to lay up the wall? Great looking job.

Eugene

Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:27 pm

Mike, looks like you had lots of "fun". as Jack said though, around here it wouls have to be another 1 1/2 to 2 feet deeper. And our rock is jsut as bad.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:32 am

Mike
Ya did a good job 8) Buddy

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:36 pm

Mike,
Nice rock work above and below ground :D

Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:39 pm

Rudi, thanks. That's part of my shop. It was done by a very good friend of mine who is now retired :cry: :cry: . His name is Lupe Quizado. I should tell you all about him sometime 8) 8)

beacon, I have found gold in the crick :shock:

bd, lots of other stuff going on right now....that wall's only 75% done. :(

jb, I can't afford Gatorade. I just keep abpout 8 or 10 empty's filled with the good water from the well :D

Jeff, when I bought this old place the main water line into the house was above ground for about 20 yd.. The electricity to the well was run through the trees and held up with wash line props.. :roll:

Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:41 pm

Carm, you may not believe me but I have never been to diggin school :shock: :shock: It just comes to me naturally :o

Heh Marion, neat Cubhoe but no way.

John, I have dug out a few areas around here with a Cat 420. No problem except you pull out a pile of rocks that you would swear is three times bigger than where it came from :shock: I'm at he "rock bottom" of a rock canyon. All of the rocks under grade are meshed together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. The old river bed is where we live :D :D What's left of the old river still runs through :)