This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Any Mitsubishi experts in house?

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Chris Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43701
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Circle Cub
1973 Int. 474

Any Mitsubishi experts in house?

Postby Chris Todd » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:51 am

Hey All,
I have a 1991 Mitsu Galant 2.0 liter SOHC and it looks like the timing belt is probably broken. The car just quit on the wife about a mile from the house and I could tell a difference in cranking speed when I tried to restart it. I see no rotation when top belt cover is removed so seems to be my problem. I've done some internet searching and don't like :( what I'm hearing. Does anybody know if this...or most of this type engine is an interference type? It seems like my next move would be to pull the head and check for sure, but thought I would ask for any input here before I got out the "Metric Stuff" :shock:
It's says alot when a man has to turn to an antique tractor message board to look for these answers because he doesn't seem to "Rouse" any interest on a large Mitsu board he found. This board never seems to amaze me with the broad range of knowledge available from the members.
Thanks in advance!
Chris Todd

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:09 am

Chris - I can't answer your question but if I was going to bet, I'd bet that it is an interference engine. Breaking a timing belt is never good news. Good luck!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:15 am

Not familar with the Galant engine, but i do know that in 1991 many 4 cylinder engines were in the process of being redsigned to cure the problems of the pistons striking a valve left open. Ford reccomended changing the timing belt evey 30 ot 50k as a safety precaution against that.. A compression test once the belt is installed, but unless you can find someone with better knowledge I would suggest pulling the head for inspection. Most of the manufacturesr have instructions statign new head bolts should be used when a gasket is replaced. At the very least og to your local autozone, Oreilly's, etc and spend $20 for a service manual if you don't already have one.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:40 am

Chris; It has been my experience that all you need to do is change the belt, the days of bending a valve have long since passed, at least I have never found one and have changed many timing belts. Hope this helps
Jim Turner

dracer398
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48706

Mitsubishi experts in house?

Postby dracer398 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:38 am

Hi Chris,
Did you hear any knocking when you rolled the engine over? If not, you might be OK. But...

Before installing a new timing belt, I'd pull the valve cover. Most engines have a bolt holding the pully on the camshaft. I would roll the cam over with a ratchet and watch the valve action making sure that all the valves move up and down freely. If they do, :D then I'd go for the new timing belt.

Good Luck,
Brian

Don't be scared of the metric stuff... :shock:
1951 Farmall Cub, 1979 International 184 with a 1050A Loader (Thanks JP Tractor salvage), 1945 Farmall H, 1934 & 1935 F-12's

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:40 pm

Most interference engines lock up when the timing belt breaks. Camshaft stops but crank keeps turning, so valves are stuck open or closed while the pistons continue to go up and down. If a piston and valve "interfere", you can't rotate the engine. The exception is when things break bad enough to remove the interference, it's unlikely your wife was driving in a manner to allow that to occur.

Since the engine still cranks, you probably don't have major damage associated with the "interference" style engines. The funny cranking speed is likely due to some valves being open all the time in several cylinders while the valves never open in the other cylinders. The result is basically no net compression throughout the normal engine cranking cycle.

I'm thinking Mitsubishi isn't radically different from Ford, GM, Toyota or Suzuki that I've replaced in the past. The biggest challenge is getting all the stuff off and out of the way so your can snake the new belt on and get it installed properly. You might have to replace a worn idler or tension adjuster along with the belt.

Oh yeah, draw a picture of how all the belts snake around the various accessories BEFORE you start removing them. Sometimes the diagram on the engine belt sticker (if it's still there) isn't correct.
Last edited by Lurker Carl on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:14 pm

According to Gates, it is not an interference engine. Look here:
http://www.familycar.com/CarCare/GatesFrame.htm

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:45 pm

I work with an Ex-Mitsubishi technician and he said the 2.0 liter SOHC and DOHC are both interference engines. He also said he has done a lot of broken timing belts on both engines and about 90% didn’t have a piston /valve interference when the belt jumps or breaks. Hopefully you’re one of the lucky ones.

I personally know if it was a G.M. car you would be definitely removing the head along with replacing the timing belt.

G.M. is still building “interference” engines, but they are with chain drives instead of belt drives.

He also gave me a web site that may interest some of you.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/l/bl_timingbelts4.htm

Jack Fowler

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:55 am

Well, my master mechanic friend tells me that the SOHC is NOT an interference engine.....but the DOHC IS . How's that for really muddying up the answer thread !! I think we now have every reply possible now!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:50 am

well all I can say for sure is we had about a 100 Ford 2300 engines in our fleet and I replaced a timing belt on average of one a week and never found a bent valve we also had some little Chrysler engines and never had a bent valev in any of them as well
Jim Turner

Chris Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43701
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Circle Cub
1973 Int. 474

Postby Chris Todd » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:50 pm

First off...Thanks for all the replys. It would have taken my post a year to get the same amount on the lame Mitsu boards I have found. I pulled the head last night and think I am in the clear. I didn't see any visible damage and no carbon was disturbed on either the pistons or the valves. Timing belt failed at 140,000 miles. They say change at 60.000 so guess I got my moneys worth. I ordered a new head set and belts, picked up a manual, and will install tomorrow.
Thanks once again!
Chris Todd

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:13 am

Well Chris I think at 139000 you would have got your moneys worth.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:02 am

Chris,

Check thoroughly that you can RE-USE the head bolts. You may have to buy a set designed and manufactured for use in your application.

Just an idea....may as well get the valves done while it's off....y'already did all the work!!

Marion

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:53 am

Excellent news, Chris!
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to “Off Topic”