This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

EZ-OUTS

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

EZ-OUTS

Postby Brent » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:04 am

:? :? :? In my 65 years of tinkering, well maybe 50, I don't think I have ever been able to remove a broken off stud or bolt with an EZ-Out. I use the right sized drill bit, always soak with penetrating oil and if I can, use cold or heat to help but they still don't work. Should I file them away for ever or are there some tricks that I'm not aware of?
Always try the easiest thing first.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby jim turner » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:14 am

Brent; It has been my experience that some work better than others, I find that the screw type usually expand the bolt and make it harder to get out, the best ones for me ar the ones with four flat sides (Snap On) makes a pretty good one. The best luck is with ones I have made from a old socket extension where I grind four flat sides on it and then use my impact wrench to remove the broken bolt. Just my experience hope it may help.
Jim Turner

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:26 am

Jim,

See you can learn something new everyday! I didn't know they made square EZ-OUTS. All of mine are the tapered screw in type and I always thought they would expand the stud or bolt. Next time I'll try your home made version. Do you use a drill bit a little smaller than the square EZ-OUT and then drive it in?
Always try the easiest thing first.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:42 am

It may have been Roger Welsch that rechristened those things hard-outs. In any case, it seems appropriate.

In my limited experience, I think I have seen more of those things broken off than I have seen broken studs that they removed. I'm not sure I have ever seen a broken piece removed with the screw type. The square ones definitely have a better chance of working. My personal opinion is that they may be OK for removing a stud or bolt that was twisted of at assembly but are pretty useless for parts that broke because they were stuck. Of course, the ones that break at assembly will almost always come out when you are drilling if you use a left handed bit.

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

ez outs

Postby LiL' Red » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:59 am

Brent no there is no secret just don't break any more bolts. seriously my experience has been nearly the same. I have an old set of Rigid brand easy outs that work better than anything else I've ever used they look like a dowel pin with extruded grooves and a hex sleeve fits over them to turn. Fact is I seldom use easy outs anymore I find that for the most part I'm time ahead to drill them out with a left hand drill bit, sometimes they catch and bring the bolt out.
Just for the record, I've had about the same success with broken tap extractors as with easy outs. :oops:

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:37 am

What do you do when you break an ez out ,any size or a small tap :?: :x :cry:
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

ez out

Postby LiL' Red » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:21 pm

Jeff Silvey wrote:What do you do when you break an ez out ,any size or a small tap :?: :x :cry:
Jeff

sometimes ez outs will loosen up by heating and cooling if not heat, cool slowly, cut out with carbide. Taps, if they are carbon steel chip them out with a small prick punch, they are very brittle and will crumble. If it's a high speed tap, grind out with carbide. If the taps and or ez out is big enough just blow them out with a cutting torch, easy on the trigger. It sometimes helps to take a short pull on the old Jim Beam to help steady the hand.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:42 pm

Jeff Silvey wrote:What do you do when you break an ez out ,any size or a small tap :?: :x :cry:
Jeff

Use your word program to make up a sign and print it out and tape it to your back. The sign should say " "KICK ME" .

Whether the "ez-out" is threaded, spiral, square or whatever they all get a grip inside a round hole by expanding it. They would have to be stronger that the bolt that is stuck and twisted off in the hole. Clean out your tool boxes and dispose of all those @$%^& things.

Their only possibility of success is to remove a bolt that isn't stuck... a job done much better by a left handed drill.

As far as broken taps is concerned, the best plan is to avoid breaking them. If, when using a proper tap handle you can see it is turning too hard, either look at the %thread chart and choose a more appropriate tap drill size. Don't try to use a dull tap! Start the tap straight.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:51 pm

George:
I know what your talking about.
I have broke a small tap on my cub at the bottom of the dog leg in the housing of the steering area. My uncle said that I could use a tool that goes down through flutes,but the tap was to small. I end up using a small punch & chipped away the tap. Very successful :D .
I guest the best way to do these things is don't BREAK a screw,bolt & tap :) :P
Jeff
In my line of work

" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:51 pm

As an A/C mech we deal with alot of screws-I mean a lot. ON a big inspection I dare say thousands taking off panels and putting them back on. There are always screws that won't back out whether it be loss of the drive or they keep snapping the bit. Easy-outs do work if used properly! Most all of our fastners are threaded into a locking nut of some type so you pretty much have no choice. Over the last 20yrs I've gotten good at it. The trick is the right drill matched to the right ezout. The snap-on stubbys are my favorite. The company supplied all of us a kit that has a special bit that has the drill on one side and the ezout on the other, they work pretty good also. I just hate to have to drill a scew body out for risk of being off center and getting into the nut. I will agree its your last resort but in some cases its all you can try. I think this is one area experience and technique are paramount to success.
One tip- if a scew is tight and the drive is about to round out put a dab of water based valve grinding past on the bit tip. You'll amazed at how good you can grip with that stuff. I sometimes use it to install screws that feel like don't fit the driver well. That way I don't leave a trap for the next guy. There is a product called screw grap on the market, buts its really just grinding compound.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:07 pm

That is a good one. I never thought of Valve Grinding Compound. When I have hex heads I want to hold in a driver I put a small piece of friction tape.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:03 pm

There are probably lots of ways to use an EZ-Out, but I guess you gotta have a lotta practice...

Most of us never will. I agree with George... THROW EM OUT !!!!! I did and I haven't regretted it.

I think tossin em is a lot cheaper than buying a casting.... :roll: :oops: :roll: :cry:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:05 pm

What do you do when you break an ez out ,any size or a small tap
Jeff

Jeff when you stop by I will show you how I got a broken tap out of the engine block on the H I'M working on. It was a cheap grade tap but it took 3 days and a Dremmel tool and some steady hands and I got it ground out without damaging the threads.

Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:12 pm

WKPoor wrote:As an A/C mech we deal with alot of screws-I mean a lot. ON a big inspection I dare say thousands taking off panels and putting them back on. There are always screws that won't back out whether it be loss of the drive or they keep snapping the bit. Easy-outs do work if used properly! Most all of our fastners are threaded into a locking nut of some type so you pretty much have no choice. Over the last 20yrs I've gotten good at it. The trick is the right drill matched to the right ezout. The snap-on stubbys are my favorite. The company supplied all of us a kit that has a special bit that has the drill on one side and the ezout on the other, they work pretty good also. I just hate to have to drill a scew body out for risk of being off center and getting into the nut. I will agree its your last resort but in some cases its all you can try. I think this is one area experience and technique are paramount to success.

Bill,

With all due respect... how in the world can an ez-out work in the environment we old tractor nuts are working in? We're not talking about bolts that haven't been removed since the last inspection, we're dealing with bolts that haven't been removed for maybe a half century and have been rusting in place long enough to be STUCK. Stuck so badly that they twist off when we try to remove them... leaving behind a stub that we need to remove that's still stuck that badly. That's where our intrepid friends get in trouble. The chance of an ez-out working are near zero, no matter how carefully the stub is drilled. Experience is valuable, and can be put to work learning to properly drill the stub on center.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Maintenance%20Tips%20and%20Techniques/Articles%20by%20George%20Willer/Removing%20Broken%20and%20Stuck%20Head%20Bolts/Removing%20Broken%20and%20Stuck%20Head%20Bolts.htm
I'll continue recommending NOT to try an ez-out because the chance of creating a much bigger problem are so great.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

David C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47141
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub, 1970 135 Massey Ferguson, 1970 175 Massey Ferguson, 1964 Cub Cadet Model 70. 1977 Farmall 140 (Granpa's)

Postby David C » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:25 pm

jim turner wrote:Brent; It has been my experience that some work better than others, I find that the screw type usually expand the bolt and make it harder to get out, the best ones for me ar the ones with four flat sides (Snap On) makes a pretty good one. The best luck is with ones I have made from a old socket extension where I grind four flat sides on it and then use my impact wrench to remove the broken bolt. Just my experience hope it may help.

I've got this set at work, they have done me well
http://armstrongtools.com/catalog/products.jsp?groupID=1249

David C
I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands

Return to “Off Topic”