This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Smoking to save Medicare and Social Security

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Smoking to save Medicare and Social Security

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:44 pm

:D
Last edited by 400lbsonacubseatspring on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby jim turner » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:53 pm

Like my Dad told his Brother a shotgun out behind the barn would result a quicker savings
Jim Turner

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:54 pm

I wonder how much we spend on each dying smoker compared to the Czechs.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:02 pm

Last edited by 400lbsonacubseatspring on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:03 pm

jim turner wrote:Like my Dad told his Brother a shotgun out behind the barn would result a quicker savings

/////////////////

:roll: Smokers enjoy there cigs, but I cant imagine the pleasure one would get from smoking a ShotGun. :shock:
Then came Bronson

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:04 pm

I would rather doe it like my father 96 and just a short time in the NH. Then again maybe my grand father had the right idea, have a stroke in the afternoon and gone by evening. It was a lot easier on him. Course we that survived him had a hard time with it for a while.

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:11 pm

Jim, not sure how much is spent on cancer patients by us taxpayers, but I've been smoking for 60+ years and have paid my way so far for my sickness through insurance, copay, etc. etc. and hope I never have to have a taxpayer pay for any of my sickness or bad habits. But on the other hand, I will never be convinced smoking causes cancer any more than other things we put into our bodies. That is just my opinion though.

JimmyE
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JimmyE » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:31 pm

I smoked for 20+ years, and with the help of my doctor and Zyban, I quit 4 years ago. Quit because the dogs hated the smell, I couldn't walk them, they were walking me! If someone had told me, many years earlier, how good I would feel if I quit, I would've said they were liars. Today, I run with my dogs, and keep up with them, and I feel absolutely great. My family, friends and co-workers couldn't get me to quit, but my dogs did!

Jimmy
The most important things in life,,,, are not things.

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:48 pm

Tom, my friend, there is no good reason for smoking. I quit over 30 years ago and never looked back. The government penalizes smokers with an outrageous sin tax. Why? Because they have a captive market, more or less. I don't think I'm one of those fanatics that goes to extremes about these kind of things, but I don't allow smoking in my house or truck. It seems the last several years I've been overly sensitive to being around cig smoke. The only exception to this rule was my dad. He smoked the cheapest el ropo cigars he could find, but I didn't think it was my place to tell him where he could or couldn't smoke.
I believe smokers should be able to smoke in any well ventilated public place, in a seperate section. I think that cities trying to prevent smoking outdoors is unconstitutional and just plain mean spirited. I can still remember when I smoked and the enjoyment it gave me. Although now I don't really understand how it gave me such enjoyment.
Just blow smoke through a hanky and know that the residue retained on the hanky normally goes in your lungs. Tom, I bet nobody has never mentioned this to you before. :shock:
I guess I just got tired of paying the taxes and having a chronic. But I do appreciate the fact that others find it enjoyable.
You know, a great concern of mine is the potential of a long lingering illness, prior to finally getting what's coming to me. :roll: Now a person could interpret that in different ways. :oops: I would just want to git-ur-done!

Larry

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:07 pm

Last edited by 400lbsonacubseatspring on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Re: Smoking to save Medicare and Social Security

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:30 pm

400lbsonacubseatspring wrote:A recent study by Phillip Morris for the Czech republic recently concluded that even after picking up the tab for the medical costs of dying smokers, the premature deaths of smokers save the Czech Republic an average of $1227 per dead smoker, considering the savings in pensions, social security, unemployment insurance, etc.

Hmmm. A study funded by Phillip Morris concludes smoking saves money. Why do I think this story is skewed?
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to “Off Topic”