This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My regrets, Cecil...

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:16 am

Bigdog,

Yes, you are right. I should be more cognizant of my status as a guest here, and so should us all.

My daughter, being Autistic, never developed speech until she was 4. Although, in those early years, she was nearly feral, due to her disability, among her first 10 words were "please", and "thank you". This, of course, coming from example, and not anything else. In my upbringing, it was inconcievable to anger my mother or grandparents, not out of a sense of fear (although my grandmother could be a frightening deterrent, if she wished), but out of pure respect.

These were the people who loved you more than they loved themselves. I wouldn't have angered or disappointed them for all the world. While, in a way, being this sensitive to the feelings of others helped make me as whacky as I am these days, I have no regrets.

I was the youngest (by 10 years) of my generation, and an only child, so, not having the comraderie of my many cousins, my best friends were the many widows of my neighbourhood. In the summer, I would make my "rounds"...LOL sitting on their back porch swings with them, listening to their many stories. When I turned 10, I became the natural choice as the neighbourhood lawn cutter (all push-reel types, of course)....which gave me even more opportunity to chat with them over a cold soda at the end of my chores ($2, a cold soda, and an hour's pleasant conversation was more than ample compensation for 2 hours hard labour to me...LOL). When my own grandmother passed away, I adopted these widows as surrogate grandmothers, in a way. The last of them (my favourite, Ada) died just a few years ago, at the age of 103. Sadly, my wife's condition prevented me from visiting her in the nursing home, and that is a small regret.

My daughter, for better or worse, is developing this same sensitivity, it seems, as she is constantly concerned if I, or her grandmother is angry or upset with her. Although she lacks the mechanisms to sense these things on her own, she has enough concern to ask, several times a day....LOL

Typically Autistics lack any sense of Empathy. In the case of my daughter, however, we seemed to have developed a highly functional sense of empathy in her, in regards to all living creatures. If any of you ever have the chance to meet her, you may be shocked at the level of familiarity she exhibits towards you, but, all in all, you will be impressed by her manners and kindness (unless you try and take her food away....LOL...then it's basic dog instincts...and that she gets from me, too).

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:04 am

Tom, too bad I didn't have a chance to spend more time with your daughter at Cubfest, but she does have excellent manners... and I believe that you can get much farther with good manners than any of the other qualities a person can have.

Every time I believe the level of good manners has hit a low point I seem to run into well mannered youngsters (like your daughter or Peter P's sons) and remember that it is the ones that make the noise that everyone complains about because they are the ones that are noticed. I love the sign I saw in Ireland...."Better good manners than good looks".

As I told you I am sure it is all just a misunderstanding of some sort. I have met both Toms and put you both on my 'good guys list'.

I will say that Tom at TM approaches his business with a different tack than nearly all 'retailers'. He loves Cubs and enjoys helping out Cub owners. I know it is hard work, but I still am a bit envious of his place in the world. (and I have no envy for my 'neighbors' mansions or the mega-yachts down the hill in the harbor). I am grateful to have his knowledge and stock of parts nearby.

Now, quit making excuses and plan on going to Cecil's Cubfest!

Also, I wondered about this river in Quebec named Tomifobia... could it be fear of Toms??? Here is the scoop... http://www.tomifobia.com/mahoney/getting_mail.shtml

Larry
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Off Topic”