This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ausse Rifle team

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Ausse Rifle team

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:15 am

Every year there is a National rifle and Pistol shoot at Camp Perry Nat'l Guard Station. NRA fuction. Two years ago a group of Five fellows stopped at our door and asked to use our range ,as they could not find a place to check over there rifles,after there flight , All they had to do was say "G'day" and I knew they were'nt Ohioans. We developed a great friendship and have e-mailed back and forth over the last two years. Well they finally came back yesterday. They checked over their rifles ran a few rounds through. and after, we do what USA folks do we had a potluck. Corn on the cob, burgers salads etc. We had 30 plus folks around till ten last night. One fellow was a Mechanic, go figure, he fell in Love with our Cub,talked about my charging Problems and gave me some quick checks,etc. The main thing they commented on was Ohioans Hospitality and how they are under the assumpsion that American's are stand offs. I told them that most of Americans are giving beyond measure. WOW! They were blown away. MY Wife I quite the Hostess. The hostest with the Mostest. some have said. We talked about Gun control, Which they have . Their hunting, ferrol goats,Dromideries(Camels one hump) Wild pigs ,Kangaroos) seems the Government pays to remove them. They are looked down on for enjoyng shooting and having Guns. They have a NRA of sorts SSAA. But they say not as Powerful as the NRA. I guess the bottom line is We have the right to bear arms. Don't take it for granted. Keep it.
It is amazing ,how in this large world folks from opposite ends of the world will meet, and develope lasting friendships. :D Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:43 am

It has been my experience that shooters are the friendliest people, next to Cub owners :)
In a few weeks I will be making a 3600 mile round trip to the Whittington Center in New Mexico, they have great facilities there, including a 1000 yard range for the big 'uns.
Do you have to be crazy to drive 1800 miles to shoot?
No, but it helps :lol:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:53 am

Phil, You are bringing back some memories of my days of cpmpetive shooting, bing a certified instructor, and my trip to Camp Perry instructors school. Thanks.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:27 pm

As John said, sure brings back memories. In Marine Corp boot camp I fired highest in the Battalion. We were using the M-1. After that I got to travel and fire on the team matches. Won some, lost some, but we had to fire for record once a year and I fired 248 out of 250 one year for record. In matches, the 1000 yard line prone position was the most fun and easiest for me. I was a range coach for a year. My friend has an M-1 and I sight it in for him once in a while. Now when I have time I'm going to have to dig my trophies out of the closet and dust them off and reminisce some.

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:54 am

I fired an M1 last summer, what a weapon. My last round it sounded like the rifl came apart spuing out the magazine. My Dad was in WW2 these were the rifle of choice the way he talks. I guess they have a match for the M1's there are fellows, that if the can get into them, wear there military uniform while at the matchs, This gets alot of attention. Folks are really proud of the history around here. My Eldest son want to get one some day ,when he can afford one.
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:58 am

What, no one has mentioned a sore thumb yet? You M-1 shooters know what I mean! :lol:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:25 am

Without gettin too full of myself..

Here in Canada the Canadian Forces send representatives to England every year for the Bisley Shoots... these people who shoot in the Bisley rounds are the worlds best marksmen. It was a real dream for me at one time to make it to this team, but I was never good enough.

Suffice to say I have been shooting since I was big enough to hold my first Winchester Cooey 22 short.. my grandpa taught us how to shoot properly and then the women taught us how to actually hit stuff. We first started hunting grouse/partridge with a 410 over and under... and then after a bit, gramps took that away. Grams didn't like birds with buck shot in em.. so she said.. get em with the 22 or don't bother asking to have em cooked :!: And btw... only head shots allowed... :!: :roll: 8) :lol: .. we ate grouse a lot.. hmmmm good :!: :!: :D needed the practice. Needless to say, when I grew up and hit the ranges in the Forces for the first time.. it was like going home..

FNC1A1 - 7.62 gas suppressed semi-auto -- expert marksman
FNC2A1 - 7.62 gas suppressed full auto -- expert marks man
SMG and 9MM pistols same thing.. (those are fun, useless, but fun. If you are close enough to snipe with a pistol or smg.. you are either very lucky are gonna be very dead very fast).

Just didn't qualify as an above average sniper, so didn't even qualify for the the trial teams at unit level..

Prone was my favourite shooting position, but sitting, squat, standing and kneeling was okay too.

My favourite range qual was the 1,000 yd with the FNC1A1 - no scope -- just adjustable vernier sights... that was a blast. We had some pretty good armourers too -- they could set em up for you so when you fired, you never even felt it.. next to zero recoil... what a blast.

I haven't shot for years, but the last couple of years Cormorants or Northumberland Sh....t Hawks.. have decided they like my trout... got out Dad's trusty 22 short. took 3 shots the first time.. now I git em one shell... don't wanna waste ammo -- it is expensive... dont ya know :!: :arrow: :wink: :?: :wink: :lol:

Oh and those Provincial Hunter Safety types... well they demand that us Vets take these courses to PROVE that we soldiers know how to use a weapon properly.... another tax grab, because most of us have forgotten more about firearms than these so-called instructors/examiners will ever know.... oh well,, such conondrums are part of life in today's PC society.. :roll: :roll: :? :roll:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:48 pm

LiL' Red wrote:What, no one has mentioned a sore thumb yet? You M-1 shooters know what I mean! :lol:
Never got a sore tumb, but we used to load single rounds in matches, and the edge of my hand used to get very sore from the bolt handle.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:17 pm

I don't think "sore" is quite the right word. "Smashed" is more like it.

I came close once. I felt the bolt slightly brush my thumb as it came out.

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:20 am

Anderson from Holdrege NE wrote a great book on shooting. He is the marksman that was one of my heroes in my youth as he was outshooting the Russians. He would show to shoot in bib overalls and still outshoot everyone else. People who did not know him and his quirks would snicker until he began to shoot. I recommend his book for snyone who wants to learn to shoot competitively. That and the Zen of Archery.

I was amazed as I read this thread at the number of cub owners who take shooting seriously. The characteristics that make one want to own and care for cubs must be the same as those that make for a good shooter.

I like single shots myself. I have a few Lee-Martini's wondrful action with a very very short lock time. Great rifle. If you have never seen one watch the movie Zulu. A Springfield could never perform like that. It would lock up after three or four quick shots.
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:36 pm

Gotta love the smell of ball powder early in the morning! :lol:

Mass49Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mass49Cub » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:54 pm

You have a really good point PWL. We shouldnt forget that our rights can be taken away so easily. I turned 18 a few months ago so i hope to help vote for our rights as Americans. Like they say "If they outlaw guns then only outlaws have guns" It is quite amazing how hobbies bring people who normally wouldnt meet together.
1949 Cub

1953 Ford Golden Jubilee

Return to “Off Topic”