This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:56 am

I just did something really stupid.
I was planing some wood and the exhaust chute plugged up, I cut the planer off and unhooked the dust collctor and stuck my hand in to clean out the shavings, OUCH!!!, the planer was still coasting to a stop and the middle finger on my right hand got whacked by the knives #!**%!! it.
:x
It could have been a lot worse, it just peeled the pad on my finger down into a flap, bandaids and superglue to the rescue :roll:
As soon as the throbbing stops I'll get back at it.
Just venting and warning to not be in a hurry when doing things like this...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:07 am

Dave, you're right, it could have been a lot worse. Maybe these warnings keep us on our toes, and help us avoid the bad accidents. I always worry about the table saw. When I'm doing a lot of repetitive ripping I get a little too friendly with that blade. I have the guard removed most of the time so I can see better, but I wonder the wisdom of doing that. :oops: Chalk this one up to experience. In this case, the difference between men and boys are the danger of their toys.
8)
Larry
The majority of men live lives of quiet desperation- Henry David Thoreau

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:46 am

Larry,
I believe you are right, a small accident every now and then keeps you on your toes.
I have been woodworking for over 25 years and pride myself on having all of my digits intact and keeping blood off of the shop floor.
Today was a reminder that machinery has no conscience or remorse.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:50 am

OUCH :!: :!: :!: :(

You're right, that was stupid, stupid, stupid. And you were lucky, lucky, lucky. :) But, it was a good wakeup call. I'll bet you learned your lesson well. Be careful next time :!:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:36 am

Dave:
You might want to paint a "S" backward on your forehead to see it everytime you look in the mirror. You are VERY LUCKY. I have been on people that weren't lucky.
BE CAREFUL PEASE.
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:53 am

Dave:

Well I guess I am not the only idjit in the world..

A few years ago, oh I think it was 1991, I was working in my buddy's shop at his Kiln.. jointing a few boards to check for birdseye.

Not paying attention, I ended up jointing 2/3rd's of my middle and ring finger on my left hand. Surprisingly they grew back, but I can still feel the pain and it has been almost 16 years... Course, that doesn't count when I took my attention off of what I was doing, and my ring finger got it again. Got bit by a 100 TPI ATB Blade -- end of the finger was broken in 7 places and pieces are still missing - so is most of the nail.... oh well.. :shock: :? :oops: :oops: :roll: :shock:

You post brought back some very painful memories for me. I have over 40 years as a woodworker now, and yes I still pride myself on the fact that I STILL have all my digits even with my stupid moments.. but I now make sure that I never ever take my attention off of what I am doing EVER..

Point to be made:

1. Even very experienced woodworkers can get hurt badly when their attention is not 100% on what they are doing.
2. Assumptions will ALWAYS get you hurt.
3. A little patience and a lot of attention to what you are doing will save a lot of pain.

I am just glad it was a relatively slight injury. It could have been much worse.. I feel for you -- truly do... :roll: :oops: :roll: :shock: :shock: :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:07 pm

Jeff Silvey wrote:Dave:
You might want to paint a "S" backward on your forehead to see it everytime you look in the mirror. You are VERY LUCKY. I have been on people that weren't lucky.
BE CAREFUL PEASE.
Jeff

I don't think I'll need the "S" right now, every time I bump that finger for a while I'll be reminded. :oops:
I am much more safety minded than today would indicate, you don't put in more than 50 thousand hours in woodworking without a major incident by being reckless. :P
Rudi knows what I mean, what I did was stupid, but it is not something I habitually do or take for granted, it was just one of those days. :)
BTW, I use a power feeder on my table saw for ripping so I don't need to get my fingers near the blade
:D
The super glue has held the pad back on quite well, I wouldn't recommend it for any open wound, but for a clean cut where the skin can be pulled tight it does a wonderful job :D

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:17 pm

You don't have the market cornered on stupid. Did you ever pick up a muffler that had just fallen off your lawnmower? :oops:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:16 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:You don't have the market cornered on stupid. Did you ever pick up a muffler that had just fallen off your lawnmower? :oops:

Unfortunately :roll: :oops: :roll: :shock: : YES :cry: :oops: , and Boy was that some stoooopid :!: :!:

Does that qualify for the You Know You Are a Geezer When :?: :?: :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

double R
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby double R » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:46 pm

Didn't take you long to put them muflers back down did it?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:52 pm

If we all just listed one of our stupid moments this would be the longest thread in the forum! :oops:
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:56 pm

Nope, not long at all..

Same thing when I usually drain the carrots... some days I never learn :roll: :oops: :roll: :lol:

Dave, funny thing is, you will never forget. I have played guitar for years... but after those two accidents it has taken well almost 14 years to be able to just try to play. Now I have a lot of work to do. I want to be able to play Classical Gas, Is there Anybody Out There and a bunch of other stuff, but it is still too painful.

As for getting the finger into the blade.. the phone rang, took my attention off for a sec, and the blade grabbed the hunk of maple, and snapped my finger into the blade.. blink of an eye... truly a freakish accident.. but, makes you feel stoopid anyways...

It will heal, but you will remember for a very long time.

Em just chuckles and shakes her head, calls me TIM :!: :shock: :roll: :shock: :? :oops: :wink: :lol:

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:01 pm