This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Those Born 1930-1979

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Those Born 1930-1979

Postby johnbron » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:20 pm

REMEMBER WHEN LIFE WAS SIMPLE! 

TO ALL THE KIDS
WHO SURVIVED the
1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we
rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolade made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because .

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING !
!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.
And we were O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down
the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem. < /P>
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phon es, no pe! rsonal computer! s, no Internet or chat rooms.......
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and kno cked on the door or rang
the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

Those generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them . . CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as
kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?! :P :lol: 8)
Then came Bronson

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:58 pm

Home town voted to replace a high/junior high school building built in 1919 and 1920 because it had asbestos, needed an elevator and was in poor physical condition.

None of the several thousand people who attended school in the building or probably 100s of thousands of people who attended public events in the building died of an asbestos related ailement.

When the building was torn down. The asbestos removal cost was about $3500-.

Eugene

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:19 pm

our kids may see this and say wow we are lucky we have our psp ,x/boxes ,cellphones and personal computers,but i believe we where the lucky ones ! i would not trade my childhood for a kids today,no way.kids today have to worry about child molesters,kiddnappers and, drug dealers. i never heard of these as a kid. born in 1967 and proud of it!!!
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:38 am

ron luebke wrote:our kids may see this and say wow we are lucky we have our psp ,x/boxes ,cellphones and personal computers,but i believe we where the lucky ones ! i would not trade my childhood for a kids today,no way.kids today have to worry about child molesters,kiddnappers and, drug dealers. i never heard of these as a kid. born in 1967 and proud of it!!!

You Can Say That Again!!!

I was born in 1954 in a mining town that was blessed with a lumber industry as well. We had everything we wanted.. hunting, fishing, snowshoeing, trapping. We even had a movie theatre where a matinee was $0.25, and that included the admission a king-size by today's standards fizzy pop and humongous popcorn.. What more could you want :?: :?:

We didn't have TV until the 60's and nobody cared.. imagine that. Maybe that is why I still can go for weeks and not watch anything but the news occassionally.. :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:31 am

BRAVO.
I was born in 63 remembered lying on the floor with my cousins that were visiting from FL watching the first man on the moon or at least that's what we thought we were watching, Conspiracy theory, Could not wait till the first snow to play with farmall tractors on the picnic table,Rode a 20" with a sissy bar that was so long people would call me a sissy today, Hunted, Trapped,Skipped school on the first day of trout season, Principle did not expect you to attend, Got whacked pretty hard when I did something wrong, Made homemade fire works shot cannons , Homemade in shop class in school on the lathe, HHMMMM even brought a jacknife to school everyday, Never hurt no body though.

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:59 am

Y'all slow down a little. Let a person get used to having color pictures on the Television and telephones with them push button numbers before going into all that other stuff.

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:11 pm

I like what everyone has said I was born in 1954. When I got in trouble with mom & dad they would bust my bottom because I desire it and not get in trouble busting my bottom in public :oops: :cry: . NOT TODAY
Thats whats wrong with todays kids they need thier a&*^% beat.
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:19 pm

I agree Jeff,
I do not believe a child should be beat every day by a drunken parent or smacked around or hurt for no reason other then you did not want them or want them around. BUT Most kids and I use the word most lightly do not have any respect at all. I say again AT ALL!!! . I grin from ear to ear when I hear a southern child say no sir yes sir. It make's me wince to think some of these kids will grow up to be in politics.
JON

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:40 pm

"spare the rod spoil the child" whats not to get? my parents never spared that rod,didn't like much then but i thank them for it now!
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:28 am

Mmmmmm, I still remember that yummy lead based paint. It was on all my toys too :D :lol: :D
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:58 am

yeah Donny. We used to take coins and would write on the wall would leave a lead trail. Also, we rarely wore shoes during the summer, If we cut our feet we would walk into the mud and let it dry on . Not like that now. I heard a Christian comedian talk about the same topic. He mentioned that his antibacterial wipe was MOM's spit. Worked for everything.
Thanks for the post
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:17 am

The Drug Problem in America

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a
methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the
adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''

I replied: "I had a drug problem when I was young":
I was drug to church on Sunday morning.
I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.
I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the
weather.
I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.

I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a
lie, brought home a bad report card, didn't speak with respect, spoke
ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best
effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with
soap if I uttered a profane four-letter word.

I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and
cocklebur's out of dad's fields.
I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help
out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the
clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in
everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine,
crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem,
America would be a better place.

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:21 am

Merlin I had the same problem it looks like our parents came from the same school, A big Amen to all of that.
Jim Turner

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:17 pm

8) It makes you respect the good ones. I really like reading and seeing what Scotty, Johny, Camo, Nic, Colin and the rest are up to. I enjoyed spending time with the ones that made it to Cubfest Ohio. And it was great waching Peter's bous they never stoped :!:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:02 pm

Hey Johnbron...GREAT ARTICLE Son :!: :D

I'd also like to add that when I was a kid the ONLY Psychologist was located in New York City (NOW...there's at least one in EVERY SCHOOL in EVERY TOWN) and "ADD" was a type of MATH you did in your head NOT a HEAD Dissorder :shock:

...Do You Suppose the overwhelming supply of Psychologists, Lawyers, Career Politicians, prescription-writing Doctors and liberal-minded-empty-headed Teachers have anything to do with the COMPLICATION OF TODAY'S YOUNG PEOPLE..."Ask Your Educator If ZOLOFT can calm your kid down TODAY"
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Off Topic”