This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hearing Aids - for Geezers only

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Hearing Aids - for Geezers only

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:48 pm

I just received my fourth (different) set of hearing aids from the Veterans Administration. I really like this set. No squeel when you bend over to pick something up. No plugged up ear feeling. Very comfortable. No switches. No volumn control. No back feed. Doesn't pick up odd frequencies.

The brand name is Phonak. The hearing aid sets behind the ear with a tube and a small insert that sets in the ear cannel.

Eugene

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:01 am

Glad you like them Eugene, I know some people get along great with them and some have a lot of problems. I think it depends on a combination of the person and the hearing aid. So far I've been lucky aobut my hearing. It seems to be the only thing not degenerating, though I do have problems understanding voices in a noisy background. not sure if it is a problem or the fact my heairng is a little above average ( at least that's what the hearing testors that came around for our company giving tests said). I also want to congratualte you on being willing to wear hearing aids, rather than letting your ego overide common sense. My father needed hearing aids for several years, but refused to admit he had a hearing problem until his grandchildren bagan talking and he couldn't hear them. He then got hearing aids and life was much better.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:58 am

:P
Image On To Bigger Things

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:31 am

I am realy impressed with this set of hearing aids. I have had hearing aids for almost 20 years and most sets have not worked out well for me to the point that I didn't wear them. For example I could not wear one set when working outside because any breeze would cause a rushing sound. Another set, when in a noisy area with a lot of vibration the volumn would continue to build up to the point where I couldn't hear - the vibration would transmit through my body and affect the hearing aid.

I though I would pass along the information on my most recent set of hearing aids.

Eugene

double R
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby double R » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:03 pm

Just got my first set of hearing aids from the V.A. last month. Mine fit in the ear and I'm haveing a hard time getting used to them. Sounds like you got state of the art hearing aids there. I'm trying but they sure are difficult for me with them and without them.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:35 pm

Double R:

You might call the VA. Normally there is a short trial period if you are dissatisfied with your hearing aids.

I was given the choice of two different styles of hearing aids when I got this set. One set was in the ear which I have/had before (twice) and an over the ear style. The over ear style was recommended by the audiologist for my hearing loss. The over ear style is more visable than the in ear style.

Something you might want to do is to take the recommendation of the audiologist. A lot of people choose the wrong hearing aid - the audiologist will not normally try to talk you out of your choice even if it's not the one he/she would recommend. Reason. One or two people complain and the audiologist loses their job.

I was in the US Army when I got my first set of hearing aids. I went to Walter Reed (hospital) for a week of instruction on hearing and hearing aids. Classes were provided on lip reading and how to listen/learning to listen. Very beneficial. Even with the classes, hearing aids help - sometimes - in many circumstances you hear better without. Hearing aids take a getting used to.

Funny story. I had a 1983 Chev van that I drove to Walter Reed everyday for hearing class. About day 3 everyone received their hearing aids. We were given several hours to try out the new hearing aids. I decided to go drive to my near by office. That van had more ratttles and squeeks than you could believe.

Good luck.

Eugene

double R
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby double R » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:55 pm

Thanks Eugene for the info about the hearing aids, I don't mind the look of outside of the ear hearing aids, I'll check in to that. A fellow told me the other day that the first month he had his hearing aids that he changed his will 4 times. :lol:

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:12 pm

My cousin runs a funeral home and I have been trying to get him to get me some hearing aids for years now. He just wont do it LOL
I have been wanting some for about 5 years now but cant aford them my self and dont have any ins to pay for them either. One of these days I will get some and probly turn them down or off becuase I probly dont want to hear what most are saying. :roll:

double R
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby double R » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:37 pm

Mag Man. You know you can get eye glasses, false teeth, and hearing aids at most funeral homes. I'm told they have drawers full of them, you just try them on till you find ones that fit. :lol:

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:04 am

Eugene wrote:Funny story. I had a 1983 Chev van that I drove to Walter Reed everyday for hearing class. About day 3 everyone received their hearing aids. We were given several hours to try out the new hearing aids. I decided to go drive to my near by office. That van had more ratttles and squeeks than you could believe.

While you were going deaf your brain was forgetting how to filter out sounds that are not important to you. These sounds are now heard and percieved. After about two months your brain will start to relearn how to tune out the unimportant. In six months what you have learned is it.

For the deaf
1 Pay Attention
2 Pay Attention
3 Develope good listening skills
4 Pay attention
5 Take a break
6 Pay attention
7 Plan ahead
8 Provide feedback to your speaker
9 Continue to pay attention
10 Learn how to double check important details
11 Bluffing is for poker and war
12 Pay attention

For the speaker
1 Get the attention of the deaf first
2 DON'T SHOUT
3 Speak slowly
4 Look at the listener
5 Rephrase
6 Repeat important details
7 Speak clearly especially if using English
8 Use gestures Italians talk with their hands (You can understand ex Presidente Fox of Mexico even if you don't speak a word of Spanish)
9 Worry about background noise.
10 Stick to topic

Richard
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

Return to “Off Topic”