This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Car Insurance

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Gian
10+ Years
10+ Years

Car Insurance

Postby Gian » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:25 pm

Hello guys, last week I traded in my truck for a car, I figured that no only would I save on gas but I would save on insurance as well. My truck was a 2002 F150 4X4 and the car I got was a Mitsubishi Galant. Much to my surprise when I called the insurance company they told me it would cost more to insure! I guess they consider this car a luxury car! How much BS is that?? So Im planning to change my insurance company.. I have been surfing the net for good insurance, i came into http://www.insurancepaylite.com has anyone tried online insurance? how effective is the online quote system? can i depend my money on this? or can anyone tell me a good insurance company to check out that may be cheaper or won't consider a Galant a luxury car?

Thank you in advance.
Gian :)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:32 pm

When it comes to insurance I prefer to deal face to face with someone. I have found it easier to deal with an individual rather than a voice on a phone or a website.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:53 pm

AMEN BD
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:27 pm

There have been scams concerning automobile insurance purchased from the internet. No insurance when you need it.

Deal with a local insurance agency.

If you have ever been in the US military, give USAA a call. They have no local agents. I have been a member of USAA for 20 plus years and have had several claims. All of my claims have been settled fairly and quickly.

Eugene

Gian
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gian » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:42 pm

Yup heard about USAA, but sad to say Im not a miltary, and so my parents does, :(

Gian

Larry in CO
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Larry in CO » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:40 am

Depending on how old you are, AARP has done pretty well by me. Larry

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:14 am

Gian, like you, about a year ago my insurance went up to $600.00 per year and I started looking for a cheaper insurance. I went to a place near me that "Guaranteed" lower insurance rates. Their's were $1500.+ per year. I called Geico. $2400.00+ per year. Called AARP. $2000.+ per year. I've had non stop insurance with State Farm since Feb., 1962, but I would drop them in a heart beat if I could find something less than $600.00 per year. 1972 was the last citation I got for a moving violation but it doesn't seem like the insurance companies takes that into consideration any more. If its not 50 years old, no tires and fenders and have a tree laying on top of it, it is considered a luxury car.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:23 am

I shopped them all and the cheapest I could find with Full coverage was Geico. I am paying $800 per year total for for My 2002 Silverado & 1990 Geo.
Then came Bronson

Gian
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gian » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:43 pm

Larry in CO wrote:Depending on how old you are, AARP has done pretty well by me. Larry

Thanks larry, I have checked AARP, it is on the site, and checking for more quotes online, yah I've also checked geico, and its kinda expensive, any other suggestions,

thanks

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:58 pm

quote any other suggestions. unquote

Yup. Buy one of those big old boats that nobody wants because they consume to much gas (18 MPG). $1000- or less, pay cash. 100K miles or less. Buy a much liability and medical insurance as you can afford. Skip the collision and comprehensive insurance.

A good portion of the insurance premium is based on your zip code and/or where the vehicle is parked. It may not be ethical but if a relative lives in a more rural location. You could register and insure the vehicle there.

I'm assuming you are not married and relatively young. You might register the car and insurance in your mother's name with you as the primary driver.

Check the insurance agency where you have your homeowners insurance. There may be discounts. Did you ask for discounts?

Eugene

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:05 am

Gian:

I know that insurance differs in the US from Canada, and I know how much of a pita it can be. When I lived in LA.. insurance was very expensive even then, no matter what your driving record, it was still high.

I like Big Dog and a few others deal exclusively with people. I do not like auto phone programs, I do not like call centers, I do not like buy insurance or stuff like that on the webl.. mostly cause it is too impersonal, and secondly, it is about responsibility. When you buy from faceless you have faceless/nameless assuming responsibility for handling your policy. This becomes way too difficult.. How do you speak to the same person twice, so this leads to stress and high blood pressure as you usually have to explain, describe or verify what/when and who every lousy time.

I deal with my Co-Operator's Agent. Being a member of a Co-Op means that I have ownership.. and I end up with some control as well as responsibility. The agent I do business with, is responsible for handling my policies.. which include my house, my shop, my life insurance and my auto insurance. Oh, and that also gives me a cut rate. The more policies you have with the same insurer, the better rates you get.. and it IS SIGNIFICANT..

Plus if I have a problem I just call up my agent, tell him what is wrong, and usually poof he and his staff fix it.. and it is just that fast. The longest I have had to wait was a couple of hours for an answer. Remember this.. your agent depends on you and all his other clients just like you to provide his daily bread for his family. If you politiely remind him that he must keep you satisfied, he should be able to get better rates for you.

Now, for the Galant.. well guess what.. the Galant along with a lot of these small import cars are now in the Sports Car class.. why? Cause a lot of modern hotrodders are doing to these little puttputt's what we in our day did to the Heavy Chevy's, the Hemi's and the Fords... soupemup! and boy do they soup em up.. That is a big factor.

Not to sure what your age is, but if you qualify, you can get a disount if you had driver training courses form say Young Drivers, that will cut down on the costs.. especially for liability significantly as well.

When all else fails some of the points Eugene brought up are also viable options to pursue.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Gian
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gian » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:17 pm

Yah your right guys, the site requires my zip code, and i recieved quotes from the companies which the site has, I have checked other site also for more comparison before choosing the right one, I have checked progressive and all state, about the agent, i think its more faster to get insurance online, because i can get multiple quotes and comparing, rather than looking for an agent, some agents looks for their commision not on your needs, that's what ive heard,

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:54 pm

Gian wrote:Yah your right guys, the site requires my zip code, and i recieved quotes from the companies which the site has, I have checked other site also for more comparison before choosing the right one, I have checked progressive and all state, about the agent, i think its more faster to get insurance online, because i can get multiple quotes and comparing, rather than looking for an agent, some agents looks for their commision not on your needs, that's what ive heard,

Generally, your auto insurance coverage starts the second the insurance company/agent receives your check.

You should have several independent insurance agents in your area. The independent insurance agent represents several companies. Ask them for quotes.

You might try your local bank and your credit union. Sometimes they offer auto insurance. Have you checked with the Human Relations Department at your place of employment. My last employment had a whole package of insurance policies. I could have obtained veternarian coverage (health insurance) on my wife's cat for $600- a year - for real.

Eugene

Return to “Off Topic”