This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sizing Boiler

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Sizing Boiler

Postby kinelbor » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:29 pm

Anyone know how to select the right size boiler for a large building? 50x60, R-19 insulation, one 9x9 overhead door, 3 3x3 windows, and 2 doors. I plan to keep shop at 55 or so. I plan to use radiant heat tubes in the slab. I am just trying to plan out my down the road future (2 years from now) shop/home. I am having trouble finding the rating that I would need. Any recommended manufactures? Thanks
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:42 pm

Nik,

I have training on the subject and have run heat loss calculations on a lot of buildings. I think with the proper input information you can confidently run your own figures. For a start in that direction check out the ASHRAE guides:

http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/dept.asp?dept_id=40&source=google&adgroup=ASHRAE&keyword=ashrae&gclid=CNXP6MfN0YcCFSHOJAodlX6ZJg
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

Postby jakeesspoo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:44 pm

There is a manual called manual J that you use to size btu's for heating and cooling applications maybe there is one online Im not sure. I took a whole semester on manual J in college. You calculate heat loss by your geography, insulation type, roof type, floor type, windows, etc...

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:02 am

If your planning a generator (and I would recommend one of those Listeroid engines) consider adding a small pump to the coolant circuit (unless it has one aready) and run the coolant into the floor during the winter and to a radiator during the summer. That very few of the btu's in the fuel are loss. Even with the price of diesel it might be cheaper to heat and light your building yourself.

Richard
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:57 am

Hi Nik,
the best easiest thing to do is call a heating/ac company. you will also need to give the height of your building as well, not your door height. also you mentioned shop and home..... will your shop be commericial?
john

Return to “Off Topic”