This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New owner, but not to a cub, but it's sorta red

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

New owner, but not to a cub, but it's sorta red

Postby John Niekamp » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:59 pm

Well a couple months ago I posted on me getting my dad's Model T out after several years of storage.

Well the bug really hit me hard and I just purchased this off eBay and yesterday I brought home this little jewel for my very own.

It's a 1926 Model "T" Ford Tudor sedan that has been in a barn since 1950, it's pretty much complete, with the exception of a few small items. The sad thing is the engine was locked up and will need to be rebuilt, but that's ok, because I want to add a few modern day improvements to the inside anyhow. The body only has surface rust and is very soild, the headliner is in super good shape and the top is just as good. (they have a soft leather/canvas type top) With all the original wood slat floorboards and seats.

Yeah E.J.P. another "Kroil Express" it too is RUSTIC RED, just like the Puckett's Rust Bucket Cub :lol:

Anyone want to have a BIG party........sanding party :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

John
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:07 pm

Yeah, I rmeeber your wife looking at pictures of "Kroil Express" and saying "well at leat it's red".. Yup, rust is red.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:05 am

Now I like that :D Being in that good a shape, I'll bet it won't take much to free up the engine. Good thing it isn't in my driveway, the BBC engine in my barn would be under the hood.

Nice find John,

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:00 am

What a pretty little Lizzy, Johnnie.........

My Great uncle Aaron, who lived next door to me growing up only owned 2 cars in his life, since he only ever used them "recreationally". One of them was a little sedan very much like that one. He drove that to parks and picnics until about 1968, when it finally became too expensive to repair anymore, then he bought a 1950 plymouth coupe, which he owned and drove until his death in 1983. Aaron was 90 when he passed onto the next life. He died digging garden with a spading fork.

It was a 4 hour drive to Dorney Park (an hour and a half away these days) in "Lizzy"......but I loved every minute of it as a boy, in the back seat. Aaron's wife Sadie told him every turn to make, how fast to go, when the lights were about to turn yellow, etc...... Everyone thought Aaron was a stupid man, but it was just that he never had to use his brain since he retired, so he just seemed that way.

Although those of you who've seen me might not believe I could fit, back then, I'd fall asleep on the way home on that little back seat, to the sound of Sadie grumbling at Aaron for the 60 mile ride home.

They never had any children of their own, so they would "borrow" me when it suited them. Years before, they'd borrow my Mother in the same fashion. I've seen pictures of them from 1920. Sadie was a pretty gal in those days, but as we all know, sometimes pretty women have their price.

Good memories, Johnnie.....Thank you kindly for jogging them up for me.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:28 pm

:P John, Very nice looking "T" and I think you got it at a very good $Price$ also. :P
Then came Bronson

C-Pop
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby C-Pop » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:48 pm

Hi John, you probably know about these: http://www.modelt.org/ and http://www.mtfca.com/ also http://www.fordbarn.com/ . All have good links and fine people with a great deal of knowledge. What modern day improvements have you got in mind for the engine? Looks like a nice car to tinker with.

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:42 pm

C-Pop wrote:Hi John, you probably know about these: http://www.modelt.org/ and http://www.mtfca.com/ also http://www.fordbarn.com/ . All have good links and fine people with a great deal of knowledge. What modern day improvements have you got in mind for the engine? Looks like a nice car to tinker with.

Hi C-Pop,

Well basically I will bore out and install aluminum pistons, adjustable lifters and hardened valve seats with st. st. valves. I may or may not modify and install a Model "A" crank. I really don't plan on taking it out and running it hard on the open road. I have the blueprints and several "A" cranks, so I may go ahead and build use one.

Most likely there will have to be new babbitt poured and line bored, I will find out later this week on what the internals looks like. I would really like to see if anyone has had any sucess with machining the block and main caps and use insert bearing, like I did with a model A engine several years ago. I saw one place that makes an oil pump for a "T" too, but don't really know much about it, may have to look into that as well.

I doubt that I will get very carried away with a full restoration at this point of time, but we all know how that goes when we get started on things, :lol:

I have been on MTFCA a few times and have asked on who was the best and inexpensive engine rebuilder, if in case I decide not to rebuild it myself. Since this really isn't an engine I have had much experience with I may let the professional do all the work, and they will have the knowledge of the correct modern day improvements too. Some of them may just be sometihng to spend money on and don't really do that much good.

Tom,

Man I thought you died and/or fell off the face of the earth. Sure glad to see you are still amoung us, I for one have missed hearing and talking to you. Come back more often.

I know about those childhood memories with old cars, even thou I am not really all that old myself. I grew up with them learned to respect, drive and work on them. I have always had much respect for Henry Ford and this bitter/sweet Model "T" Ford. It really has a huge part in history and who has never heard of a Model T ? Folks who don't know anything about vintage cars even knows what a model "T" is.

It has been so much fun taking dad's touring out and hearing the older generation (70 years plus) tell you the stories you have heard many times over on the little quirks one had to endure while driving the old "Tin Lizzy" But I really enjoyed each and every story and seeing how their eyes would with light up with a big smile when they came up to talk, it was like they went back in time, back to their childhood.

John
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:22 pm

John Niekamp wrote:It has been so much fun taking dad's touring out and hearing the older generation (70 years plus) tell you the stories you have heard many times over on the little quirks one had to endure while driving the old "Tin Lizzy" But I really enjoyed each and every story and seeing how their eyes would with light up with a big smile when they came up to talk, it was like they went back in time, back to their childhood.

John

Johnnie,

I believe that using a good antique anything requires one to be more deliberate and decisive in one's actions. Any fool can and does drive around town in a spiffy new vehicle with all the toys and whistles, ABS brakes, air bags, transmissions that are automatic in ways that I do not fully comprehend........etc.

Same is true of cameras, cookware, and last but not least, farm equipment.............

And these are just things within my sphere of experience.....I'm sure a lot of other guys have long lists themselves.

It's fun, once in a while, and sometimes all the time, to have to be that deliberate about what you do. I know that those old Fords require you to have a darn good idea of what's going on in front of the firewall and beneath the floorboards when you're actually driving it.

Just like when I actually get around to taking a film picture, I actually know what the exposure values are, and decide upon shutter speed and aperture, in order to create the effect I'm looking for.

Kinda like knowing engine speed and gear selection when mowing with a cub, instead of just stomping on the hydrostat of my new MTD/Cub Cadet........

Needing to think for a change.......does a mind some good once in a while...... :D :D :D

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:39 am

Hey 400lbsonacubseatspring
I am glad you let it die and started posting again good to hear from ya.
JON

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:58 am

Jon,

There was nothing to really let die...... :D :D :D :D

I've just been busier than usual, physically, mentally, and spiritually....... :shock:

That'll continue until Thanksgiving, but with more, and longer breaks in between, so y'all will be seeing more and more of me......

Thanks for the concern, all of you.

--Tom

Return to “Off Topic”