This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Merry Christmas Let's Not Forget!

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Merry Christmas Let's Not Forget!

Postby Donny M » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:28 pm

A Different Christmas Poem

The embers glowed softly, and in their dim light, I gazed round the room and I cherished the sight. My wife was asleep, her head on my chest, My daughter beside me, angelic in rest. Outside the snow fell, a blanket of white, Transforming the yard to a winter delight. The sparkling lights in the tree I believe, Completed the magic that was Christmas Eve. My eyelids were heavy, my breathing was deep, Secure and surrounded by love I would sleep. In perfect contentment, or so it would seem, So I slumbered, perhaps I started to dream.

The sound wasn't loud, and it wasn't too near, But I opened my eyes when it tickled my ear. Perhaps just a cough, I didn't quite know, Then the sure sound of footsteps outside in the snow. My soul gave a tremble, I struggled to hear, And I crept to the door just to see who was near. Standing out in the cold and the dark of the night, A lone figure stood, his face weary and tight.

A soldier, I puzzled, some twenty years old, Perhaps a Marine, huddled here in the cold. Alone in the dark, he looked up and smiled, Standing watch over me, and my wife and my child. "What are you doing?" I asked without fear, "Come in this moment, it's freezing out here! Put down your pack, brush the snow from your sleeve, You should be at home on a cold Christmas Eve!"

For barely a moment I saw his eyes shift, Away from the cold and the snow blown in drifts.. To the window that danced with a warm fire's light Then he sighed and he said "Its really all right, I'm out here by choice. I'm here every night." "It's my duty to stand at the front of the line, That separates you from the darkest of times. No one had to ask or beg or implore me, I'm proud to stand here like my fathers before me. My Gramps died at 'Pearl on a day in December," Then he sighed, "That's a Christmas 'Gram always remembers." My dad stood his watch in the jungles of 'Nam', And now it is my turn and so, here I am. I've not seen my own son in more than a while, But my wife sends me pictures, he's sure got her smile.

Then he bent and he carefully pulled from his bag, The red, white, and blue... an American flag. I can live through the cold and the being alone, Away from my family, my house and my home. I can stand at my post through the rain and the sleet, I can sleep in a foxhole with little to eat. I can carry the weight of killing another, Or lay down my life with my sister and brother.. Who stand at the front against any and all, To ensure for all time that this flag will not fall."

"So go back inside," he said, "harbor no fright, Your family is waiting and I'll be all right." "But isn't there something I can do, at the least, "Give you money," I asked, "or prepare you a feast? It seems all too little for all that you've done, For being away from your wife and your son." Then his eye welled a tear that held no regret, "Just tell us you love us, and never forget. To fight for our rights back at home while we're gone, To stand your own watch, no matter how long. For when we come home, either standing or dead, To know you remember we fought and we bled. Is payment enough, and with that we will trust, That we mattered to you as you mattered to us."

PLEASE, Would you do me the kind favor of sending this to as many people as you can? Christmas will be coming soon and some credit is due to our U.S.service men and women for our being able to celebrate these festivities. Let's try in this small way to pay a tiny bit of what we owe. Make people stop and think of our heroes, living and dead, who sacrificed themselves for us.

LCDR Jeff Giles, SC, USN
30th Naval Construction Regiment OIC, Logistics Cell One Al Taqqadum, Iraq .

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:39 pm

Donny: A poem with an excellent message. Dan

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:42 pm

Outstanding!
And Amen!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:03 pm

To all of our serving men and women in many countries.. the US, Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Italy and others who are standing up for freedom in far away lands.

Merry Christmas to each of you, our Thanks to each of you and your families, may God Bless You, Keep You and Be Gracious (+) unto each of You.. and bring you home safe to your loved ones.

We have Christmas in Freedom to practice as we chose, due to the sacrifices of our men and women in uniform. Lest we forget :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

TOOLMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 90210

Postby TOOLMAN » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:39 pm

GOD BLESS ALL OF THEM

3969 Members

1954 Cub quick hitch /Plow
1947 Ford 2N
1948 Green Machine Model M (i know)
Knowledge Is Power
and Power is Knowledge
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten."

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:02 pm

Reading that brought back memories of coming home from the Navy in 1971. I'll never forget their sacrifices of dishonor any of them.

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:04 pm

Donny, thanks for posting that. It put a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.

Thanks and a Merry Christmas to all those presently serving and all those who have served their country.

A special thanks and a Merry Christmas to the families of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:16 am

That poem ALWAYS hits home hard here. Having severed, and having 3 children serving currenlty. Amen

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:53 am

If you don't feel something from that....you ain't alive. :?

kydave51
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 41005

Postby kydave51 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:33 pm

A BIG THANKS TO ALL THAT HAS SEVERED AND IS SERVING NOW

AND MERRY CHRISTMAS

GOD BLESS THEM ALL

Dave Napier

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:05 pm

Speaking of Servicemen, the 10 PM anchorman on the Springfield, MO NBC channel announced last night he is leaving his comfortable job to join the army. He is 41 and since the Army just raised the enlistment age to 42, he can get in. He has been thinking about it since 9/11. He wants to be Ranger medic.

Patriotism is not dead. :)
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Return to “Off Topic”