This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Free Book

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Free Book

Postby Dan England » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:55 pm

Following retirement, Janie and I opened a couple of used book stalls in flea-markets. We buy fairly large lots of books from Goodwill or similar agencies. A typical lot might contain about 800-1,000 books and we don't know what we are getting untill we get them home and go through the boxes. There are usually a lot of books which, although in good condition, simply do not sell and must be discarded or given away. I have given a few of these to forum members and I now have one which someone might like. "FRONT PAGE HISTORY OF THE WORLD WARS" as reported by the New York Times. Published by Arno Press, 1976. The first page contains a full page photo, which older members will remember, of Uncle Sam proclaiming "I Want You for the U.S. Army". The last page contains a picture of General Douglas MacArthur signing the Japanese surrender document aboard the battleship Missouri on September 2, 1945. World War One is covered on pages 3-158, coveragae of WWII includes pages 159-316. The pages of text consist entirely of copies of the front page of the N.Y.Times. In addition, there are several dozen photos of military activities and events of the two world wars. The book is free to the first person who contacts me and agrees to pay my cost of shipping. Let me know. Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Book

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:57 pm

Sounds good to me. Thanks
Bill Sorensen
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:58 pm

Dan i sent you a PM.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:59 pm

Well, Bill didn't waste any time. Bill, send me a mailing address and I will start it your way on Monday. Dan

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:04 pm

Bill: You replied within one minute from the time of my post. You must have had the benefit of a speed-reading course. It take me more than a minute just to read my post. Fast work. Dan

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:21 pm

I will continue to look for books which might be of interest, books which probably would not sell in our booths, and post info on them. I would much rather see them go to forum members than to be discarded. Dan

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:32 pm

Thank You Dan I was 11 years old in 1941. Aunts, Uncles and many cousins were in the service during WWII. We watched with aprehension at first but as time wore on and things started to improve the apprehension subsided. My father worked in Ft Meyers and Later a Tyndall Field, Panama City FL. He installed WALA trainers. They were used to teach Turret and waiste gunners how to get the other guy before he got you. It used a number of movie projectors to show on a large screen attacking fighters. There was some system to measure your aim and lead to determine if you hit the target. Mom just packed up the 4 boys and off we went to a bungalow in a piney swamp. We were there on D day and clearly remember the details as broadcast. We were fortunat that all of ours came back.some wounded but they made it back.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:49 pm

Bill: With that background I am confident that you will enjoy the book. I, too, can remember WW II. I was five years old when it started but can remember the sadness in our family when older brothers were drafted. We were an extremely large (9 children, I am the youngest) and poor family, trying to make a living from 80 acres of very rocky south Missouri farmland. To the best of my memory, we did not own a radio at the start of the war. My folks bought a used one from a neighbor for two dollars. We didn't have electricity at that time so the radio was powered by batteries. Batteries were very expensive, considering our limited income, so it was used for 15 minutes each day to keep up with the war news and for either 30 minutes or an hour, I can't remember which, for the Grand Ole Opry on Saturday nite. And my children don't believe me when I tell them that I can remember time before TV. Today's generation really is spoiled, having a TV, computer and other hi-tech gadgets which we never dreamed were possible and couldn't have afforded if they were available. Dan

Return to “Off Topic”